Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

80e Swap - Check list and ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wkdivr
When are you planning on doing this? In a hurry, or is this a winter project? I'd like to help, just to get an idea as to what is involved. I'm still in Bangkok till the end of Sept, but might be free in the months after. I'd be leery of that Speed Eng kit. Especially their crossmember. Some members haven't had such good luck with them.
Well probably more like a spring project. It will take me a while to gather all the parts. Limited on funds right now. Come winter the wife starts parking in the garage and then I won't have a lot of room. You are more than welcome to assist. I'll let you know when I'm going to start. If it works out you can come down great! I'd like to meet ya.

I plan on modding my own cross member. I can at least get it tacked together. Then take it to a weld shop to finish up. Don't think my little mig will handle the entire thing. Just pick up pieces like the transfer case input and possibly the yoke from SE.

Originally Posted by Pewter53
I have spliced the tranny lines on other trucks but i just dont like doing it. and I was wanting to know if the yoke from the 2500hd drive shaft i got with my transmission will work has anybody tryed it
The yoke from a 2500HD I know will fit the rear of the transmission. It won't fit the ouput of a 1500 Transfer case and don't know if it will get the right length.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

forgot you had a z71 i hope it will work for mine the crossmember has to go back 6" to the center of the trans mount hole which is slotted so you can get a little bit of an adjustment and your mig should be able to take care of it its pretty think stuff and 2 pieces on 4'' flat bar will work and 2 pieces of 2" to brace it with.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pewter53
forgot you had a z71 i hope it will work for mine the crossmember has to go back 6" to the center of the trans mount hole which is slotted so you can get a little bit of an adjustment and your mig should be able to take care of it its pretty think stuff and 2 pieces on 4'' flat bar will work and 2 pieces of 2" to brace it with.
I've seen a couple good write ups on modding the cross member. I'm going to do the in truck method guess I would call it. If I have to use a tape measure it WILL be wrong :grin: May try and pickup a spare cross member to "practice" with just in case. I'll give my little mig a shot first.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Found a listing for the transfer case input shaft. < $100. Gonna give them a call Tuesday.
FWIW I think it is GM part # 42740. NP261 32 Spline.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you goin to buy the wiring harness speartech or just swap wires on the pigtail like what nonnieselman did in his sticky?

You might want to add the torque converter cover shield to your list if you dont already have it. It is not needed to bolt up and go, but will add strength to the bell housing
Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger I have my stock crossmember you are welcome to it just pay shipping and its yours. I dont know if there the same or not.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1BADAZZSS
Are you goin to buy the wiring harness speartech or just swap wires on the pigtail like what nonnieselman did in his sticky?

You might want to add the torque converter cover shield to your list if you dont already have it. It is not needed to bolt up and go, but will add strength to the bell housing.
I am hoping the housing cover comes with the transmission but yeah if not I'll have to come up with one.

My plan is to modify current harness. No pigtail.

Originally Posted by Breeze
Roger I have my stock crossmember you are welcome to it just pay shipping and its yours. I dont know if there the same or not.
Thanks Brian, may take you up on that!.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be aware...there are a number of different TC covers.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by howard quick
Be aware...there are a number of different TC covers.
Would explain some reading I've done mentioning support rods being used.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I'll be gathering parts over the next couple months.

Here is the list. Missing anything?

4l80e tans - on the way
6.0L Flexplate and spacer - already have
4l80e torque converter - trans comes with stock - GET PI
4l80e Dipstick tube
Wiring harness mods for the 80E
Wiring up the second speed sensor to the PCM - need connector
New transmission cooler lines.
Modified Cross member
Input gear swap in the auto trac transfer case to accept the larger 80e intput shaft.
Shorten the rear DS or yoke?
Lengthen the front DS
4l80e segment swap to the PCM tune. - Done.
Transgo HD kit

Questions:
The transfer case input shaft? Get from GM? A better source? Part #?

I've read about a different drive shaft yoke. Details please? Could I just safely modify mine to get the length out of the driveshaft. My truck has the one piece aluminum DS

Do you do improved servo's with an 80E?

The crossmember shouldn't be that bad.. mine was a 2wd and has the 99 Crossmember. It was easy as pie..

I have a link to the connector for $9.... or ill look at the house and see if I have one layin around.. (on my cell phone right now).

The Trasngo SK is easy to put in..

I ran my cooling lines in -6an Push Lok with the pretty Blue/Red fittings. I didn't like the stock lines anyway..

when I get around a PC again ill help ya out.

Quick Reply: 80e Swap - Check list and ??