Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

80e Swap - Check list and ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very common for this retaining clip to break.

There's an item available called a 'transfer case saver' which would be a good upgrade whilst in there.

http://www.drivetrain.com/gillies/Tcasesaver.html

I had the machinist at my work make one for me.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by howard quick
The 60E neutral switch should bolt straight to it without the need for any wiring changes/joins etc. Seems to me that'd be the best way to go.
You will need the cable bracket which bolts onto those other two lugs towards the rear. The 60E bracket won't fit the 80E.

Top: 60E
Bottom: 80E
Yep figured out the shift cable bracket last night. It's now on the list of needed parts. I also looked at the wiring and can re-wire to use the 80e neutral switch but you are right probably best to just use the 60e. Wonder why they changed them?

Here's some pic's I took during my rebuild and swap.

60E - 80E

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...4L80e/?start=0

Transfer case:]
Thanks so much for the assist. I've got your transfer case photobucket url saved. Didn't know you'd done the 60-80e photo shoot. I think I have a pretty good understanding of that part. I see 2 ways guys are modding the crossmember. Cutting the entire center section out and moving it back or just welding on a bracket on the back.

Very common for this retaining clip to break.

There's an item available called a 'transfer case saver' which would be a good upgrade whilst in there.

http://www.drivetrain.com/gillies/Tcasesaver.html

I had the machinist at my work make one for me.
I'd seen your post about the case saver. Is this for the pump wear through of the case? Probably should pick up a couple of those c-clips.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

That retaining clip breaks and that allows the shaft to wander.

As for the crossmember....mine bolted straight back in with no modifications. I did have some sort of adaptor in there for the 60E...from factory. I just removed that and the 80E bolted straight to the crossmember.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

As for the crossmember....mine bolted straight back in with no modifications. I did have some sort of adaptor in there for the 60E...from factory. I just removed that and the 80E bolted straight to the crossmember.
Ah, so you weren't warning me that I might break the clip during the teardown of the case for input shaft swap, but that it is a weak link in the case design and breaks during operation.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Scratch this, I think part number is 19019 for a NP246 32 spline 4l80e input shaft.
my '04 Z71 is very similar to yours. I have a 4L80E on the way to do the swap myself since my 4L60E failed. Where did you find that input shaft? and can anyone else confirm the part #?

The current driveshaft in my truck is also one piece aluminum and most places have problems with modifying due to the length and material. Would it be better to use a 2 piece steel shaft and weld in the carrier bearing support for it, then shorten it??? Any other options?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rafedial
my '04 Z71 is very similar to yours. I have a 4L80E on the way to do the swap myself since my 4L60E failed. Where did you find that input shaft? and can anyone else confirm the part #?

The current driveshaft in my truck is also one piece aluminum and most places have problems with modifying due to the length and material. Would it be better to use a 2 piece steel shaft and weld in the carrier bearing support for it, then shorten it??? Any other options?
http://www.tbtrans.com/transfer_case.htm

Yes the drive shaft will be a problem. I personally do not want to do steel shafts or 2 piece. I am betting there is a one piece GM drive shaft out there that will drop in. Possibly changing yokes somewhere. I've been looking for a complete list of DS specs for the various NBS GM platforms to no avail.

Breeze had a long one piece made somewhere.

Last edited by KySilverado; 09-06-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah, so you weren't warning me that I might break the clip during the teardown of the case for input shaft swap, but that it is a weak link in the case design and breaks during operation.
That's correct.

I have a steel driveshaft in mine. Had to get it shortened 42mm.
The front drive shaft should not need altering.
Some guys have had to grind the splines down a little where it comes out of the front seal....but I didn't find this necessary. It deffinately doesn't need to be lengthened.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rafedial

The transfer case input shaft for using Autotrac+4L80E in a Nbs 1500 4WD is Gm Part #12386258 superseded by current part #88962329 for $40 more, GM p direct. Still need to confirm before I order...
Old 09-06-2008, 06:34 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Breeze had a long one piece made somewhere.
A-1 Driveshaft here in Md, I swear they balanced it better than the factory Ds
Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Breeze
A-1 Driveshaft here in Md, I swear they balanced it better than the factory Ds
Steel or aluminum?

Quick Reply: 80e Swap - Check list and ??