Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

80e Transgo HD -2 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Did half of the pump mod last night. Drilled the big hole. Wow. Basically doubling the hole size and a scary thing to do with a hand drill. Went to do the hole in the other half of the pump. Who in the hell keeps a 3/64" drill bit laying in their box?
You must have a steady hand. That would worry me if I drilled crooked. It's nice when I know a machinist.
Doesn't everyone have a 3/64"?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I seriously thought long and hard about drilling that.

If I had happened to ever have owned a 3/64" bit I'd have probably used it as a tooth pick.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Who in the hell keeps a 3/64" drill bit laying in their box?
Lol! Me....but my toolbox contains a full machinists workshop...complete with grumpy old machinist. Lol!
That Vice idea was from James.B I think Roger.
I made a tool to do the job.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another question guys. Second kit I've installed so I went back through the left over parts from the first time.

I can't find anywhere in the instructions where a small washer is used. There are 2 in the picture, one from this kit and one I did a while back. Disregard the other parts they are just remaining parts to install when I put the tranny back together. The washer is in the bag that contains the boost valve parts. I know its an obscure question. Does it get used? Where?

Last edited by KySilverado; 06-13-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Man, this is more complicated than I thought for just a shift kit! After seeing this, I'm just going to keep mine stock. Sometimes I think tearing into things can cause more harm than help (no knock whatsoever against you KY).
Old 06-13-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by howard quick
Lol! Me....but my toolbox contains a full machinists workshop...complete with grumpy old machinist. Lol!
That Vice idea was from James.B I think Roger.
I made a tool to do the job.
I'd like a complete machinist workshop. I'd even put up with the grumpy guy.
I'm looking to buy a set of Kent Moore tools for the 80e. Think I can get this one together without them but will almost be an absolute necessity for me, no machinist around, to build an 80e.

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Man, this is more complicated than I thought for just a shift kit! After seeing this, I'm just going to keep mine stock. Sometimes I think tearing into things can cause more harm than help (no knock whatsoever against you KY).
Yeah, guess they are fairly complicated to install and can do more harm than good if you don't do them right.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I believe the washer is for the valve in the pump. They supply parts for two different types. I did need to use the washer/Spacer.... I think? Lol!

yep. looked at my inst. used it! step 7
Old 06-13-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by supersub
I believe the washer is for the valve in the pump. They supply parts for two different types. I did need to use the washer/Spacer.... I think? Lol!

yep. looked at my inst. used it! step 7
I did use a washer in step 7 also, but a much larger one. It fits the diameter of the large green spring and the boost valve bushing. Same diameter inner/outer as the stock one but thinner. My instructions don't show the small washer in step 7.

I'm thinking it might go under the "stronger 4th bolt" that goes through the case and locks the 4th clutch assy?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

yep! I have two of them now. Its the same size as the spacer i did not need for the boost valve in the pump. No washer described for the 4th bolt.

I don't know either?

Hmmm!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by supersub
yep! I have two of them now. Its the same size as the spacer i did not need for the boost valve in the pump. No washer described for the 4th bolt.

I don't know either?

Hmmm!
It's a mystery I might give Transgo a call Monday.

Quick Reply: 80e Transgo HD -2 question