Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

80e Transgo HD -2 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:12 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah! Mr. Shift!

While your at it ask him what are the other mods to make it handle more than 900hp. You know the "special parts"
Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

those washers should be for the bolts that hold down the pressure relive valve in the pic. Unless you got two for the new bolt that goes under the valve body
Old 06-14-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Halo
those washers should be for the bolts that hold down the pressure relive valve in the pic. Unless you got two for the new bolt that goes under the valve body
There is only one washer in each of the two kits I've installed. I just went back into the old kit to see if I had it left over from that install also.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KySilverado
...I'm looking to buy a set of Kent Moore tools for the 80e. Think I can get this one together without them but will almost be an absolute necessity for me, no machinist around, to build an 80e.
I didn't think the common man could get Kent Moore tools. I used to be able to walk into Kent Moore yrs ago. They then stopped selling to the general public. Only to dealerships after that or automotive repair shops, IIRC. I think too many returns or some **** like that.

So for the person that knows what they want to buy, they make the right products. Too bad I can't get em still. But again, I haven't tried in yrs. I might need to if I decide on rebuilding a 60e/& or 80e. Just for my own projects. They cost a left nut too.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I didn't think the common man could get Kent Moore tools. I used to be able to walk into Kent Moore yrs ago. They then stopped selling to the general public. Only to dealerships after that or automotive repair shops, IIRC. I think too many returns or some **** like that.

So for the person that knows what they want to buy, they make the right products. Too bad I can't get em still. But again, I haven't tried in yrs. I might need to if I decide on rebuilding a 60e/& or 80e. Just for my own projects. They cost a left nut too.
You can get the tools and you are right most are from shops and things that have and selling them off. I'd say a very nice have for a COMPLETE rebuild.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did some measuring of the stock 4th clutch bolt and the one from the transgo. I'm almost positive the mystery washer should go under the new 4th bolt with the trango kit.

Finally found a damn 3/64" bit and finished off the pump mods and got it back together.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've seen the KM tools for sale on Ebay from time to time.
Honestly....I don't think they're necessary unless you're planning on doing alot of 80E builds.
There are lots of ways around using the tools.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by howard quick
...Honestly....I don't think they're necessary unless you're planning on doing alot of 80E builds.
There are lots of ways around using the tools.
If building a 80E for yourself, if you all the good parts at it, sell em. Cause if ya did it right the 1st time, unless makin some insane power, that'll be the last time they should be needed. Or keep onhand for when doin a freshening of tranny.

A 700r4/ 4l60E/ 4l65E, on the other hand... I'd keep the tools around as long as I had (have) those trannies. And I have 3 of those.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well she's back on the road. 50 miles or so and all is well. Shifts are a bit firmer, quicker. TCC lock is completely different. Assuming its from the trango pump mod. Also added the extra spring from PI into the TCC circuit. Cruise and part throttle TCC lock is crisp and less neck snapping from previous. WOT TCC lock in 3rd is absolutely stunning.

Being its the first deep teardown of a Trans I've done I'm stoked it did'nt disintegrate when I started it up.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

What did you do about the Mystery washer?

Quick Reply: 80e Transgo HD -2 question