Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

99 Sierra 1500 Suspension Rebuild - Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Sierra 1500 Suspension Rebuild - Help

Hey guys the suspension in my GMC is in immeadiate need of replacment.

the steering wheel has 2 inches of play, and I just found a broken leaf in one of the leaf packs on the rear.

I'm pretty much happy with stock height as it allows me to run some flashy rims in the summer and swap my BFG's back on for winter months.

I have a few questions and intend to write out a list so i can visualize everything needed, feel free to comment should i forget something.

First off: I need to address the rear leafs, The ones on it right now only have 2 springs in the pack and sag a bit when my boat is hooked up.

My question is can I or has anybody ever swapped to the 1500hd rear leafs ? it's 4 springs in the leaf pack and it sits just a bit higher than my 1500 but should in theory squat less with a load on.

are the extra leafs worth it or would i be better off with replacement 1500 springs and air bags maybe ? I just like the simplicity of the bigger spring.

Second: Shocks. I have been doing some reasearch and think a set of Bilstein 5100 for the 0-2.5 inch lift, I'm thinking this will let the truck come up a bit with the extra spring in the rear.

Third: Torsion keys ? I would rather have a bit of rake than any cali look or anything like that as well I dont want to mess with the suspension making for a rough ride and wearing out fron end components. It seems like you can get 2 inches out of the front with a set of keys but at what cost ? will only 2 inches throw off the entire feel of the truck ?

Lastly: Replacement of wear items. I plan to replace upper and lower ball joints with Moog stuff,they have the problem solvers which is the complete lower control arm with new ball joint installed and new bushings already installed, great for quick swaps, they have a similar setup for the upper as well.

As well as replace the tie rods and the Idler and pitman arms, is the steering box a common replacement in these things ? I dont want to miss a single thing on this and i want it to be as smooth and steer as straight as when I first got her.

Obviously a good alignment after.

Open to suggestions, thanks !
Old 08-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody ! lol.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a good list. I personally would not run the HD springs in the rear unless you will be towing a trailer or hauling a load more than not towing or hauling anything. The springs will be more stiff and when your not hauling or towing it will cause a rougher ride. Plus, though it may not matter in your application, I would bet they weigh more.

Bilstein shocks work well but you could probably get a set of Monroe's or the like that would be cheaper and work just as well for what you need. My dad put Monroe coil-over shocks on the rear of his truck to help with towing his boat. Only thing I dont like about them is the springs tend to squeak when cycling up and down without a load.

Moog is a good brand for ball joints. I normally use them or NAPA's premium brand on most all vehicles I work on.

I'm confused on the torsion keys, do you want to raise or lower the front end? If you raise it by cranking torsion keys it will generally create a stiffer ride up front.