Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

ABS considerations on Ring & Pinion swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS considerations on Ring & Pinion swap

Hey everybody.

I have a 1991 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, 2wd and it has ABS, not sure if it's 2 or 4 wheel though. Do I need to make any special considerations when choosing a Ring & Pinion set for my 10 bolt rear end? As I understand, any 10 bolt, 30 spline gear set will work with mine. I'm wanting between a 3.73:1-4.56:1 with a locker if anybody is near Statesboro, GA I'll buy yours at a reasonable price. If I have some mechanical experience, but not an expert, do you think I could swap my gear set by myself if I've never done it before? I know it's a little involved...

I looked on autozone.com for some ABS sensors, but couldn't find any. Anybody know more about the brake system on my truck? Any good places out there to read about chevy truck brakes? Any suggestions on how I might be able to get some rear wheel disc brakes for less than $500? Also, I want to know more about whether or not I can mix and match, such as using a heavy duty brake booster on a truck that doesn't have heavy duty brakes, etc. There doesn't seem to be much talk about brakes.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know anything about your ABS system.

But I did my gear swap at a friend's shop and it wasn't too bad. But we had a lift and could stand under it. Don't even try it unless you have a case spreader to get the proper preload. And don't spread it too much or it can break or become deformed. The spreader weighed like 40# and we had to put the think on and off like 5 times before the setup was perfect so it was a b***h. You will need some brass punches to punch the new bearings in place. I let him do the crush sleeve. I don't know if I could have figured it out on my own. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself for the first time.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, in case anybody wants to know, the ABS will not be sensitive to any particular gears and no special considerations will need to be made, even if you want a posi carrier. The ABS for the rear wheels uses the speed sensor from the transmission, not any sensors in the hub or anything.