Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

ABS problem since spindle swap...Weird issue that I need help with

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question ABS problem since spindle swap...Weird issue that I need help with

Did a mild lowering job on my 2002 Z71 last weekend and immediately had an issue with my ABS at very slow MPH. Got that electric motor sound and hard pedal, not to mention lack of stopping power. At higher speeds, no problems.

Took the truck to my buddy's so he could hook it up to his ABS scanner and it showed LEFT FRONT sensor "dropping out" causing the ABS system to act like it was. I told him I had just lowered it, and he said I must have disturbed something that was already on it's way out...I guess damn near anything's possible, so I order a new LF ABS sensor and install it yesterday. 90% better, but still engaging the ABS at very slow speeds??? Never had an issue with ABS before so this is all kinda new to me.

What could I have done during the spindle swap, that would be affecting the ABS sensor on this one wheel?

The original sensor on that side had 2 metal shims under it. I tried removing them from old sensor, no change. Tried adding them to new sensor, no change...

I simply unplugged the MAXI fuse for the ABS for now, which actually makes truck "feel" like it stops a lot better than it ever has, but the 2 pieces of tape covering the ABS and BRAKE lights on the cluster aren't going to "fix" the problem...

Any ideas what is going on here?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:29 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Did you get the sensor seated correctly?

Most abs sensor problems are caused by corrosion/ debris " pushing up" the sensor thereby giving false readings .

Just make sure the sensor cavity is very cleann and the surface it bolts to is clean also, Then i like to put RTV silicone over the top to prevent grime from contaminating it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Did you get the sensor seated correctly?

Most abs sensor problems are caused by corrosion/ debris " pushing up" the sensor thereby giving false readings .

Just make sure the sensor cavity is very cleann and the surface it bolts to is clean also, Then i like to put RTV silicone over the top to prevent grime from contaminating it.
Yessir, both old and new sensors were/are seated flat and completely flush. The hub was replaced a few months ago and the spindles I swapped on last week are brand new.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

well sheet i dunno bud LOL! Was hoping it would be simple.

BTW your truck sits nice and looks great. What brand and how much lower is it?

BUMP!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

well sheet i dunno bud LOL! Was hoping it would be simple.

BTW your truck sits nice and looks great. What brand and how much lower is it?

BUMP!
I was hoping it was just a simple bad sensor/easy fix myself...but it ain't so far, lol. Really baffled now with the new sensor "almost" but not quite fixing it...

Thanks for the compliment Tim. The spindles were some off brand from Ebay (where else, haha). SpringTech brand (fake BellTech)- $170 shipped. The rear was just removal of the Rough Country 3" blocks, and some BellTech 2" drop shackles. Still need to find some good shocks to go with it. From it's leveled height, it's about a solid 4-4.5" drop front and rear. Going to put some miles on it and adjust the torsion bars one more time before getting front end re-aligned. I also scored a dirt cheap set of 20's and some new take off tires that will be on soon. I think they'll look pretty good with the black truck.

I attached pic of the wheels I got:
Attached Thumbnails ABS problem since spindle swap...Weird issue that I need help with-cruiser-alloy-902mb-threshold-rwd.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Sorry off topic again but thats gonna look sharp when its done, im a fan of black and machined wheels, all black, not so much LOL.

You are the official " find quality on ebay" member!! The hedders have been totally awesome.Its nice to find good parts that are less costly, not "cheap" . Congrats !!

Bump again for the ABS problem!!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only problems iv had with the abs on my 00 was when my whole module went out.

well u said both lights are on, I just ordered a new module from ebay when mine went out. came with a lifetime warranty and everything.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

swap the hubs side to side and see if it follows the hub.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry off topic again but thats gonna look sharp when its done, im a fan of black and machined wheels, all black, not so much LOL.

You are the official " find quality on ebay" member!! The hedders have been totally awesome.Its nice to find good parts that are less costly, not "cheap" . Congrats !!

Bump again for the ABS problem!!
LOL, Yes I am. haha...The wheels & tires were a great find, although that was through the local Craigslist. All 4 wheels with 2 "ok" tires and 2 "done" tires were advertised for a mere $300, but since 1 wheel needed to be repaired, I offered (and bought them for) $200. The tires were new take-offs in a slightly narrower tire than I would have wanted, but they are the same height as my stockers (and advertised for only $300, listed for $233 each on Tire Rack). I got them for $200, and one wheel repaired for $100, so I have $500 total invested in 4 pretty nice looking wheels with brand new Yokohama Geolanders. I figure with adding the spindles, shackles, u-bolts and even some decent shocks, I should be at less than a grand total.

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz
the only problems iv had with the abs on my 00 was when my whole module went out.

well u said both lights are on, I just ordered a new module from ebay when mine went out. came with a lifetime warranty and everything.
Sorry for the confusion. The ABS and BRAKE lights are on due to me unplugging the 60amp Maxi-Fuse from under the hood. That basically turns off the ABS system and makes the lights come on.
Their are NO LIGHTS on when fuse is in, and/or when ABS acts up.

Originally Posted by Truckshop
swap the hubs side to side and see if it follows the hub.
I may try that this weekend. That side is only a few months old, but they're easy enough to swap side to side.

Originally Posted by neilownz
There are repairs on ebay for like 70 if thats the problem. Check the electrical connections.
No electrical connections are loose. I replaced the sensor and it's harness because the high dollar Snap-On scanner said it was bad, but evidently there's another issue as well.

Thanks for the replies/ideas so far. Keep them coming...
Old 03-13-2011, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Question

No chance to swap hubs side to side, mainly due to my broken foot, but hoping someone might have another idea, or hearing about someone having the same issue...

Since I swapped on new wheel speed sensor to the front left spindle, the ABS issue has gotten MUCH better, but not gone by any means.

NO ABS issues when braking from anything above an idle, or very light throttle.

ABS motor kicks on at very slow speeds only, like when pulling into a parking space, or into a driveway, etc....

Anyone have any ideas????

Quick Reply: ABS problem since spindle swap...Weird issue that I need help with