Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

ABS problem since spindle swap...Weird issue that I need help with

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This problem started with the new spindles, right? That is making me believe that you have an air gap between the sensor and the trigger wheel that is out of spec. Most likely, your low priced eBay spindles are machined incorrectly by just a couple thousandths. You'll need to look up the air gap spec and measure what you have. Then either shim out the sensor, or remove some material from the knuckle to get the correct air gap.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
This problem started with the new spindles, right? That is making me believe that you have an air gap between the sensor and the trigger wheel that is out of spec. Most likely, your low priced eBay spindles are machined incorrectly by just a couple thousandths. You'll need to look up the air gap spec and measure what you have. Then either shim out the sensor, or remove some material from the knuckle to get the correct air gap.
Correct. The LF sensor is the one that is dropping out at low speeds.

I actually tried to find some sort of spec on the air gap of the sensor, but had no luck whatsoever. Any ideas where to find that info? I have Mitchell On Demand access from home but even there had no luck finding any specs, or even how to properly check the gap...

BTW, I never get an ABS light when this happens, just the pedal pushing back and hearing the motor kick in.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:42 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, you might have a bad hub bearing, the more I think about it. The sensor mounts to the hub, not the knuckle, right? A worn bearing will affect the air gap. These types of problems do not set ABS DTC's or illuminate the ABS warning light.

Since you have Mitchell, log in, enter your vehicle info, and go to TSB. Type "unwanted abs activation" in the search window. The second link will give you a test procedure.

I know the air gap spec is in a bulletin also, but I haven't found it yet.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spec for the air gap is around .040". I don't think you will find it anywhere. It sounds like you have a cheap aftermarket hub. A factory hub wouldn't have shims on the sensor. The air gap is definitely the problem. Your best bet would be to file the mount surface on the hub down to close the air gap.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Well, you might have a bad hub bearing, the more I think about it. The sensor mounts to the hub, not the knuckle, right? A worn bearing will affect the air gap. These types of problems do not set ABS DTC's or illuminate the ABS warning light.

Since you have Mitchell, log in, enter your vehicle info, and go to TSB. Type "unwanted abs activation" in the search window. The second link will give you a test procedure.

I know the air gap spec is in a bulletin also, but I haven't found it yet.
Yes, sensor mounts in hub. For some unknown reason I had it in my mind that it mounted in spindle...The hub is not that old, but I know that means nothing.

Originally Posted by bullygoat
The spec for the air gap is around .040". I don't think you will find it anywhere. It sounds like you have a cheap aftermarket hub. A factory hub wouldn't have shims on the sensor. The air gap is definitely the problem. Your best bet would be to file the mount surface on the hub down to close the air gap.
You're probably right. Months ago, I had waited for 2 weeks to get my truck in for alignment, and when they tried to align it, they said the LF hub bearing was sloppy, so rather than bring it home and wait again, I had them replace it and finish the alignment. Probably a generic part.

If the hub checks out OK, I think I will try "re-fitting" the sensor to the hub.
Only issue now is that it's hard for me to do darn near anything with this stupid broken foot...

Thanks for the replies/suggestions guys.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
If the hub checks out OK, I think I will try "re-fitting" the sensor to the hub.
Only issue now is that it's hard for me to do darn near anything with this stupid broken foot...

Thanks for the replies/suggestions guys.
I know how you feel. I broke my leg in a motorcycle accident back in September and I've got a few more months to go before I'm back on my feet.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Definitely sucks...I'm just shy of 300#, so hopping around isn't too fun, lol...

I'm going to unplug the ABS maxi-fuse tomorrow so nobody runs into anything with it before I can fix it more permanently.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

Just to UPDATE...

I stopped by my buddy's shop, where the alignment and wheel hub/abs sensor were replaced several months ago. He swore I screwed something up, even though he knows I've been a mechanic of some sort for the last 30 years, lol.

He got me another complete National brand (Federal-Mogul) wheel bearing hub assembly, complete with new ABS sensor for free. By "free", I mean he simply warrantied it for me since it has a lifetime warranty that I didn't know about.

Can't hobble around to do it until the weekend, but it should take care of this PITA intermittent issue for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:28 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Cool man, hope it fixes your issue.

Haha i used to be 325, i know about hobbling around ( down to 200 now, that has to be a .10 in the QTR!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Cool man, hope it fixes your issue.

Haha i used to be 325, i know about hobbling around ( down to 200 now, that has to be a .10 in the QTR!!!
Damn....Congrats on that for sure.

My toes are still purple
The worst part about this is that I had just started back to the gym about a month ago, after a 5 year hiatus. Was just getting back into a routine. Now, I guess due to liability issues, they won't even let me come in to do any non-foot related exercises...

Quick Reply: ABS problem since spindle swap...Weird issue that I need help with