Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Adjust Rear Disc Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I'd keep the factory proportioning and upgrade the brakes all around, say with a big brake kit (the SSBC 14" kit is on my wish list) and some SS brake lines. If you're dead set on getting more braking power out of the rear, maybe go with a rotor/caliper/pad upgrade there only...I wouldn't recommend doing it that way, but it's definitely safer than trying to mess with the proportioning. I'd be concerned about how increasing the stopping power in the rear only would affect the ABS operation though.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I have stainless lines, hawk pads, hydroboost, and 14" rotors in the front, so by all means, the truck will stop. I just want more use out of the rear brakes. I know brakes are designed so the fronts will grab slightly before the rears, but in this case the fronts grab WAAAY before the rears. Replacing the rear single piston with an upgraded dual piston would probably make the situation worse since the duals need even more fluid to work than a single.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

But the dual calipers provide more clamping force...

You have stock brakes (except the Hawk pads) out back and upgraded fronts? Maybe there's something up with that...
Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 AM
I have a gauge for that

They can provide all the clamping force in the world, but if they arent given enough fluid to expand and clamp to the rotor then they dont do any good.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'd be nice to adjust the proportion ourselves but like you said it's not really an option. I'd just cover your bases first and see if it helps and if not then you have upgraded to some nice parts anyway. I mean some D/S rotors and SS Brake Lines to stiffen the peddle travel up. It could be something as dumb as your rear rubber brake lines are old and stretched out more than the front and they aren't giving out/holding the pressure they're supposed to be.

My Truck had TERRIBLE brakes. I finally upgraded to D/S Rotors with hawk HPS pads. And what a difference. I do have dual piston in the rear though I think. I wish I could install my SS lines but my Bleeders are stripped and stuck in and no one has a cure unless I replace all of the Calipers.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see why u cudnt add a proportioning valve to the system, except maybe it'll not talk nice with the ABS? The only time ur rears are gonna get used hard is on heavy braking. Notice those nite vids of Vettes @ Lemans style races and its the fronts that are glowing red hot. Its the same principal as a motorcycle: All the work is done by the fronts and the rears are only in emergency situations. Thats why I didnt spend a bundle on getting more than 2 (or4) piston in the back while I dropped a dime on the big set-up in the front...my 2 cents...R/
Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM
I have a gauge for that

I understand the reasoning for the front brakes to do most of the work, but this only applies to vehicles that have short, relatively light wheels and tires. Big, heavy 35" tires carry a lot of angular momentum when they are turning, so having the rears actively engage with the fronts would help tremendously. For normal size wheels this would probably lock up the rears, but not so with big tires.

I have stainless lines in the rear also, btw.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

It's all relative, even with the heavier wheels and tires you want the brake biased heavily to the front...remember, the heavy wheel and tire assemblies are on the front too. If you were to increase the bias to the rear, I believe that your stopping distance would increase, and control while braking would decrease. I also think that you may have to disable the ABS by pulling the fuse as the front to rear wheel speed will probably be off during braking since you're clamping down on the rear so heavily, while the momentum and load is actually concentrated on the front. The rear of the truck is basically "along for the ride".

With that being said, have you checked Summit or Jeg's for some form of universal, adjustable proportioning valve?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I have a gauge for that

Is there no type of adjustment option on our trucks already? I dont want to increase the rears that much, just enough so the rears will start to engage before I have the pedal half way to the floor.

Last edited by Atomic; 09-03-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atomic
Is there no type of adjustment option on our trucks already? I dont want to increase the rears that much, just enough so the rears will start to engage before I have the pedal have way to the floor.
Check EFILive/HPTuners web site and see if there is something that can be altered there? Otherwise ur stuck put an adjuster on...just guessing tho...I hope u figure something out cause it sounds interesting and its always nice to find another adjustment option! Call BlackBear maybe...

Quick Reply: Adjust Rear Disc Pressure?