Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

AFter 4 months the 4L80e swap starts tomorrow!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah good luck with the install man,

I too am tired of the constant unlocking of the verter, but it shifts so ******* nice its still not a big deal to me, I'd love to try the 60e program, but am kinda scared a bit.

BTW dont masterbate too much with the wife gone or you wont get your trans in ! LOL.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

I did the segment swap on my DD 04, and the relay method with my 99. Both work fine.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The unlocking converter does get old being a DD and all. But like Tim said the shifting/reliability it brings is so worth it!

Im going to let you be the guinea pig though and try the relay out for awhile. I may end up doing this to my truck if all goes well lol
Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
Is the tranny all assembled? I don't have my manual in front of me, but I don't think that snap ring is supposed to be in that clock position. Maybe someone with a manual or experience (Vince) can chime in.
Yes that is the correct location IMO when using the wide TF8 snap ring. If you put the opening of the snap ring in the opening of the case it tends to rum the drum. With the factory snap ring its not an issue because it clears the drum but with the wide one I like to see it as Corey has it.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So is there no way at all to prevent the TC from unlocking everytime you let off the throttle if you do the segment swap??
Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Correct.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I notice no issues at all and I drive mine everywhere I go.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atomic
Correct.
Appreciate it.. I'm intrested to see how Corey's swap goes, I'm intrested in more details
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by slowec
Funny, I notice no issues at all and I drive mine everywhere I go.
What issues are you talking about, unlock / lock ?? ( Just trying to understand)

It's more obvious with a multi-disc converter i do know that, but like i said it just feels like its shifting into 5th

And to any guys who think this is a problem/ detriment to an 80e swap its not at all, after you are used to it you dont realize it much/ mind it at all. Especially with how good the 80e shifts compared to the sicksty E
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

fYI, if Vince or Gil give you guys advice on your tranny threads you would be wise to listen to them. They have a ton of experience and are 2 of the few members that share their knowledge with us average DIYers.

Originally Posted by Vince B
Yes that is the correct location IMO when using the wide TF8 snap ring. If you put the opening of the snap ring in the opening of the case it tends to rum the drum. With the factory snap ring its not an issue because it clears the drum but with the wide one I like to see it as Corey has it.
Yep and the reason i have it that way is because Vince took the time to help me with my build. Without his help the tranny would still be in pieces. Once again thanks Vince, i could not have made it this far without your help!

Originally Posted by 01silvy
Appreciate it.. I'm intrested to see how Corey's swap goes, I'm intrested in more details
Pictures will be posted and if you ladies are lucky may even a speedo vid of the tranny and TC putting in work!!!!
Originally Posted by TIM Z
And to any guys who think this is a problem/ detriment to an 80e swap its not at all, after you are used to it you dont realize it much/ mind it at all. Especially with how good the 80e shifts compared to the sicksty E
Yep i was not knocking the 80 segment. Mainly just want to try something different. I have all the extra parts necessary to use the 80 segment if i dont like the relay mod. Also when and if i am sucessful i will do a write on the wiring and specific tune adjustments need to run the 60 segment with the 80.

Quick Reply: AFter 4 months the 4L80e swap starts tomorrow!!!!