Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

air bag installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag installation

I'm getting ready to install an airbag kit on an '01 Silverado RCSB. Has anyone here done an install like this before? Are there any tricks to it?

I've got triple-ply bags for the front, so hopefully I won't have to relocate the shocks (just let the bags do the damping), and I'm planning on removing all but one leaf on the rear springs, and using behind-the-axle brackets for the rear bags.

Thanks for any advice!

Tim
Old 01-19-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

u will get an better ride with shocks
Old 01-20-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Air Over Leaf setup ride like crap? Check out www.gmfullsize.com There are a lot of bagged guys over there. I am sure most will suggest a KP 4 or 6 Link setup for the rear.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I am planning on doing my air install in March. I have read tons and tons of articles and forum posts on this... 3 ply bags alone will give you a completely shitty ride up front. the air over leaf setup in the back will also make you truck ride like a horse carriage. if you are going to doa bag install you should just take a little more time, do tons of research, and spend a little extra to get a better finished product. You will be far happier with your results. gmfullsize.com has quite a few bagged members who know tons.
-The airbags are only meant to replace the springs... (thats why they are called airsprings) LOL.... you will still need a quality shock and a secure weld on the reloactor if not it will break under extreme angles such as aired all the way up too far or lock to lock steering. You can also blow a bag under extreme lift if you hit too large a bump with too much air pressure
-for the rear, are you notching? I would definitely suggest doing a notch and some type of 4-link or a KP COmponents 6-link like I will be running. try out KPcomponents.com for all the heardare and parts you will need. I am doing my air system for the smooth-as-glass ride and also for the extra load handling capability since I haul bikes in the bed sometimes. The rocker panel eating stance is also a plus LOL..... Here's my parts list... This is everything you will need for a GOOD dependable, high quality setup...
Front Bags
Front Bag Cups
Rear Bags
6 Gallon Tank
Viair Compressor
2 Dual Needle Guages
Pressure Switch
8 3/8” Valves
9 Switch Polished Controller
4 Link With Canteliever
Frame Notch
Front Shock Relocaters
75’ 3/8” Line
40’ 1/8” Line
Front Shocks
Fittings

If you have any additional questions feel free to ask.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll check out gmfullsize.com, and see what they've got to say, too.