Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Alignment off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:22 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will ask them this afternoon. I am sure it's not too serious but it didn't track like that before. The alignment/frame shop i go to is very low tech, i dont know if they even have a computer but they know their stuff!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats allright. I did my last alignment with 2 strings, 4 lawn chairs and a tapemeasure. after I went to the "good" alignment shop and $80 later they gave me the print out and my solid rear axle has toe and camber LOFL. abvoiusly their stuff (Or sears) wont fit 20" rims and the new rim protector tires.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FastCrewCab4x4
Thats allright. I did my last alignment with 2 strings, 4 lawn chairs and a tapemeasure. after I went to the "good" alignment shop and $80 later they gave me the print out and my solid rear axle has toe and camber LOFL. abvoiusly their stuff (Or sears) wont fit 20" rims and the new rim protector tires.
Don't laugh. The solid rear axles will have alignment measurements (adjustable or not). There is still a spec that can be read (toe & camber), and for that it can be read on the computer screen and printed out.
It helps people know if their axle halves are warped or bent.
When my 2000 Chevy Silverado was rear-ended bad, I went to the alignment shop (NTB), to have the alignment looked at after it was repaired. The truck went to the right really bad after it was fixed. One side of the axle (right) had a bad neg toe of .58, the left side read a normal .09. There will always be a little toe in or out. No axle is perfect. Though the -.58 on one side was unexceptable.
I then took it back to the repair shop, they had to re-pull the frame on the frame machine. After they did, I took it back to the alignment shop, I had .08 and .12 toe readings at the rear axle. The truck drove straight after that.
So, getting a reading of your axles toe and camber readings is good to have and know.

Jim
Old 07-19-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

I'll look for that print out and tell you the specs if I can find it. The part I was laughing at was their adapter wouldn't fit in far enough to seat up to the rim, I knew it couldn't be very accurate cause all four points of the adapter went in a different amount. I'm going to put my stock wheels back on and have it checked. It was NTB that I went to, I went to sears first and their adapter had the same problem so they wouldn't even try. Thanks for the positive info though
Old 07-19-2006, 09:39 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Back from getting realigned. All is good.
Alignment was square as far as thrust angle but he did fine adjust the front a bit and I'm steering straight.
Dropped the driveshaft and measured pinion angles, needed to replace 4* shims with 2-2.5* for parallel angle, went with 3*. I cant feel any more vibration, must be close enough.
Which is better for FI pick-ups a one-piece aluminum DS or a steel DS?

Last edited by trever1t; 07-19-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:55 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Explain pulling to the right a hair?
A hair is a drift. Very common with the GM trucks. More than likely, if it's a slight pull or drift like you describe, an alignment correction to the Caster adjustment will fix you right up. A -1.0 to -1.4 Caster split works best on the GM trucks. They tend to like to track to the right from the factory.
I have a -1.2 caster split and I still have a slight drift to the right. I will have them bump it to a -1.5 next time.
Just let me know what your alignment specs are when you get the alignment done. A good alignment shop will give you the print out of the alignment specs.
Hope you get it all straightened out.

Jim
I don't wanna hijack the thread, but I've been curious as to why these trucks drift to the right for some time. I remember when I first got my truck it used to drift to the right, and shortly after, I saw a TSB or service manual revision calling for about a whole degree more of positive caster on the right side to correct the problem. I aligned it and added about .8 more caster on the right side and the drift went away. It's not a road crown issue, because it does/did it on flat roads and even on roads that were crowned to the left.

Since I lowered my truck via torsion keys, it was a little tricky to get the camber where I wanted it, but once I did (-.5* on both sides) I now have cross caster that is almost 0 (I think that I'm at about +4.0 on each side if I remember correctly). The drift no longer seems to favor the right side as strongly though, now it's just sensitive to the road in general...on a flat road (which is hard to find), it will track pretty straight, maybe just slightly to the right (if I hold the wheel straight, it goes straight )...if the road is crowned left, it drifts left, if right, it goes right. FWIW, lowering this truck not only enhanced it's appearance and attitude, but also cured a driveline vibration I used to have at 60-75ish mph, and helped it to track straight with 0* of cross caster...

I guess this truck has been destined to be a sport truck instead of an off roader from the start...pretty sure that I heard a "sigh" from under the hood the day I peeled the Z71 decals off

(sorry about trailing off and hijacking on ya trever...glad you got it "straightened out"...pun intended)
Old 07-19-2006, 09:58 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

No problem. I found your post very interesting