Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

All Torque Converters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Torque Converters?

I tried using the search bar so forgive me if this has been discussed. I haven't been active on here in years.

I'm in the process of swapping a 4l80e in place of the 4l60e in my 85 c10. It's a 5.3/4l60e combo now, and I'm piecing together a turbo kit.

The 4l80e in question will be a craigslist special, with a shift kit installed by me. The entire truck is a budget build, but well thought out.

That all being said, does anyone have any personal experience will All Torque stall converters? they can be had for substantially cheaper($425-$475 shipped)than a circle d, which was my original go to. Some links to the converters in question.

https://www.alltorqueperformance.com/home.html

4L80 4L80E 10 inch Torque Converter Torque 3000 Stall Lock Up | eBay

4L80 4L80E 10 inch Torque Converter Torque 3800 Stall Lock Up | eBay
Old 12-26-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedRover
I tried using the search bar so forgive me if this has been discussed. I haven't been active on here in years.

I'm in the process of swapping a 4l80e in place of the 4l60e in my 85 c10. It's a 5.3/4l60e combo now, and I'm piecing together a turbo kit.

The 4l80e in question will be a craigslist special, with a shift kit installed by me. The entire truck is a budget build, but well thought out.

That all being said, does anyone have any personal experience will All Torque stall converters? they can be had for substantially cheaper($425-$475 shipped)than a circle d, which was my original go to. Some links to the converters in question.

https://www.alltorqueperformance.com/home.html

4L80 4L80E 10 inch Torque Converter Torque 3000 Stall Lock Up | eBay

4L80 4L80E 10 inch Torque Converter Torque 3800 Stall Lock Up | eBay
You're comparing apples to oranges.
There's a reason that converter costs less than a Circle D or any other quality billet cover converter.
It's made using a ring on the front of a stock 4/6 cylinder converter.
That's OK in non lockup applications, or certain applications that are only going to use the lockup in limited power.
I build converters in my shop and we don't even build that style converter for a lockup transmission.
Steer clear and buy a good converter.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
You're comparing apples to oranges.
There's a reason that converter costs less than a Circle D or any other quality billet cover converter.
It's made using a ring on the front of a stock 4/6 cylinder converter.
That's OK in non lockup applications, or certain applications that are only going to use the lockup in limited power.
I build converters in my shop and we don't even build that style converter for a lockup transmission.
Steer clear and buy a good converter.
Have you had any experience with this style of converter yourself? What typically fails or causes problems? I'm not arguing, but looking for answers. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had any experience with this style of converter yourself? What typically fails or causes problems? I'm not arguing, but looking for answers. Thanks for the help.
Yes,
It simply doesn't have a large enough lockup clutch for a heavy combo.
In a light, lower power street rod, where the lockup tuning was done to only allow lockup at light throttle, it would work fine. However I wouldn't use one at all in a truck application.
The lockup clutch would be the point of failure.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
Yes,
It simply doesn't have a large enough lockup clutch for a heavy combo.
In a light, lower power street rod, where the lockup tuning was done to only allow lockup at light throttle, it would work fine. However I wouldn't use one at all in a truck application.
The lockup clutch would be the point of failure.
Thanks, this is the kind of information I was seeking out. Are there any other budget converters you would recommend besides circle d?
Old 12-26-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, this is the kind of information I was seeking out. Are there any other budget converters you would recommend besides circle d?
Jake sells converters. Might wanna pm him.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:41 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 770 Likes on 637 Posts

If you're on a budget why not just have a factory one re-stalled?

I am no expert but, I think your going to be hard pressed to find anything new with quality for less than around the $700 range.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

A Circle D HP converter for the 4l80 is only $550.

Not that much more and would be a world of improvement in reliability.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

converter will make or break a combo more than just about anything, arguably even camshaft. plus its a total pita swapping them, so they are the top of my list of parts i wouldnt ever cheap out on. and i run garbage ebay turbos and wastegates without a second thought.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
If you're on a budget why not just have a factory one re-stalled?
I had a ranger with a warmed up 351 and stock c4 i did this with. it was like $150 and made a huge difference for that setup. it was a great investment in that case.

Quick Reply: All Torque Converters?