Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Am I the only one who hates DDing a stall?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Am I the only one who hates DDing a stall?

Hey guys, I just wanted to see if anyone else's truck became less enjoyable to drive after installing a stall converter. I have had mine stalled since Christmas and I thought after a while I would get used to it but......I drove my dads ext. cab Ls1 the other day and couldn't believe how much "peppier" it felt off the line than mine. I am seriously considering going back to the stock converter as I have not realized the expected performance gains from the stall and it just makes the truck less enjoyable to me. I hate having to put my foot halfway in it to keep up with the Kia beside me at a stop light.

Anyway, just wanted to see if I was the only one that felt this way as I never really hear anything bad about stalls in other peoples trucks. Is there anything in the tune that would help the drivability? I know lower gears would but I don't want to go too low with those until it is no longer my DD.

Thanks for any comments, insight or help!
Old 10-23-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a small stall in my 2500hd. I originally had it in a 1500 scsb. The heavier truck doesn't like it near as much. I think it is only a 2400 or 2600 stall. When I sold the smaller truck I kept the FLT 4l80 and PI converter and put them in the bigger truck. It can be aggravating. Especially when towing something heavy.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zeake
I have a small stall in my 2500hd. I originally had it in a 1500 scsb. The heavier truck doesn't like it near as much. I think it is only a 2400 or 2600 stall. When I sold the smaller truck I kept the FLT 4l80 and PI converter and put them in the bigger truck. It can be aggravating. Especially when towing something heavy.
But don't you get in the power band faster which would help with towing off the line?
Old 10-23-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tgui
But don't you get in the power band faster which would help with towing off the line?
Pulling my pontoon out of the water it makes it feel like it can't do it. I will just drop it into 4lo in order to pull it out.

I have a curb at work that I can ease the truck up to and once touching the curb it won't push itself over it. It use to ease right up it.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zeake
Pulling my pontoon out of the water it makes it feel like it can't do it. I will just drop it into 4lo in order to pull it out.

I have a curb at work that I can ease the truck up to and once touching the curb it won't push itself over it. It use to ease right up it.
So your converter never engages when pulling up the curb and trying to go over? It just won't make it over? Or do you have to give it too much RPM?

I haven't installed my 3200RPM circle-D converter yet and am wondering what I'm getting into...
Old 10-23-2015, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Of course it felt peppier.....his truck is putting power to the wheels while yours is making heat.

For the record, I never liked DD'ing with an aftermarket converter. It might be fine for those that run around 50-100% throttle all the time, but for the rest of us it just makes things soggier and eats more fuel. I just prefer a very "direct" feel with the pedal to vehicle movement. It really comes down to personal preference..
Old 10-23-2015, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Ive been DDing a 3000 stall in my turbo truck for years. Love it
Old 10-23-2015, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
Ive been DDing a 3000 stall in my turbo truck for years. Love it
Isn't yours a TT3000?
Old 10-23-2015, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tgui
So your converter never engages when pulling up the curb and trying to go over? It just won't make it over? Or do you have to give it too much RPM?

I haven't installed my 3200RPM circle-D converter yet and am wondering what I'm getting into...
It just won't go over it. RPM never gets high it just won't do it. I just drop it into 4 lo and crawl over it. When it was in the other truck the much lighter more powerful truck it would ease right over it. It is on an a sharp incline. The truck has almost 200k miles on it.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Of course it felt peppier.....his truck is putting power to the wheels while yours is making heat.

For the record, I never liked DD'ing with an aftermarket converter. It might be fine for those that run around 50-100% throttle all the time, but for the rest of us it just makes things soggier and eats more fuel. I just prefer a very "direct" feel with the pedal to vehicle movement. It really comes down to personal preference..
What converter are you using now?

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who hates DDing a stall?