Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Am I the only one who hates DDing a stall?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
Yeah yeah, can efilive pull off a segment swap yet?
Can HP Tuners allow you to change the VIN on a PCM/Engine swap and still allow you to tune the PCM? What about Lean Cruise? Neither of these things can be done with HP Tuners.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
Yeah yeah, can efilive pull off a segment swap yet?
EFILive has been able to do segment swaps pretty much since day one, long before HPT...
Old 10-28-2015, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
EFILive has been able to do segment swaps pretty much since day one, long before HPT...
I thought I read otherwise!

oops!

I'm sure I'd like EFI Live just fine, happened to go with HP Tuners because of a good deal.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

To the OP, I agree wholeheartedly. Stall in a DD is somewhat annoying lol. For a play toy/ occasional driver by all means the stall is mandatory for maximizing the combo. I do think that the stall is only one element of the overall trans package. Trans tuning is VITAL (ie partially or completely removing torque management), the shift kit, and also the powerband of the motor. I always scratch my head when I see youtube vids of guys installing MS4 cams and car intakes in a 5000lb crew cab truck with 20's on it? The fundamentals of hot rodding, in regards to stall converters, applies more than ever. Over gearing/ under gearing, over camming/ under camming, over stalling/ under stalling, cylinder head runner size, static compression, everything must work together in sync. Guys often think they can replicate a forum post and be happy with the results. When you are changing the OEM formula, you better be doing your research or ride in someone else's truck that you like, otherwise the likelihood for disappointment is nearly guaranteed. I learned this lesson back in my 5.0 days when I put "ported" Trick Flow heads (no flow numbers) on a 9:1 stock shortblock and a single plane Victor Jr intake and 750 carb. I couldn't even spin the damn tires and I was devastated lol.

For the last few months before I tore my truck apart for the turbo, I was DD'ing a bone stock 145k LM7 with an 80e swap and a Circle D 2B 3200 stall (it would stall to about 2800 with the stock motor) and 3.42 gears. Before I tuned the trans based off an HPT forum post, I was devastated. The truck felt like total mush. But when I disabled torque management and all the other tweaks, I started to enjoy it a lot more. I think a big thing that made me enjoy the stall even slightly was I knew boost was right around the corner... I'm building a GMT400 Tahoe DD with a baby cam'ed LQ9 and you can bet your *** I'll be using a stock stall converter...
Old 10-28-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
To the OP, I agree wholeheartedly. Stall in a DD is somewhat annoying lol. For a play toy/ occasional driver by all means the stall is mandatory for maximizing the combo. I do think that the stall is only one element of the overall trans package. Trans tuning is VITAL (ie partially or completely removing torque management), the shift kit, and also the powerband of the motor. I always scratch my head when I see youtube vids of guys installing MS4 cams and car intakes in a 5000lb crew cab truck with 20's on it? The fundamentals of hot rodding, in regards to stall converters, applies more than ever. Over gearing/ under gearing, over camming/ under camming, over stalling/ under stalling, cylinder head runner size, static compression, everything must work together in sync. Guys often think they can replicate a forum post and be happy with the results. When you are changing the OEM formula, you better be doing your research or ride in someone else's truck that you like, otherwise the likelihood for disappointment is nearly guaranteed. I learned this lesson back in my 5.0 days when I put "ported" Trick Flow heads (no flow numbers) on a 9:1 stock shortblock and a single plane Victor Jr intake and 750 carb. I couldn't even spin the damn tires and I was devastated lol.

For the last few months before I tore my truck apart for the turbo, I was DD'ing a bone stock 145k LM7 with an 80e swap and a Circle D 2B 3200 stall (it would stall to about 2800 with the stock motor) and 3.42 gears. Before I tuned the trans based off an HPT forum post, I was devastated. The truck felt like total mush. But when I disabled torque management and all the other tweaks, I started to enjoy it a lot more. I think a big thing that made me enjoy the stall even slightly was I knew boost was right around the corner... I'm building a GMT400 Tahoe DD with a baby cam'ed LQ9 and you can bet your *** I'll be using a stock stall converter...
I have always really liked the factory high stall GM (Vega/Monza for the TH350/400, 4.3 S10 for the 4L60E OBS, 4.3 G-Van 4L80E, 4.2 I6 Trailblazer for the 4L60E NBS) converters. PERFECT driveability at part-throttle and flash a little higher to get you rolling if and when you need the power.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've heard mixed things about the Trailblazer stall, how do you think it would work in a 5500lb Tahoe with a stock LQ9 with headers, CAI, and a BTR stage 1 truck cam?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lxcoupe

Love it!!! Lord somebody took the words out of my mouth! I too dont understand these HUGE *** cams and 4k stalls in crew cab trucks with 5.3s.. but to each his own..
Old 12-22-2015, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was never a fan of DDing my yank or precision industries. I had that it always sounded like it was struggling to get out of its way; however hit the go fast peddle and I didn't have this problem. The only real times I regretted a convertor was when I was towing 8k+ pounds. It sounded like it was going to blow up, but had plenty of power.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I love DD'ing my stall. Sure, the factory converter will feel more responsive because it's tighter but it won't flash to 3500 when you mat the throttle.

That's when it gets fun.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by madmann26
I love DD'ing my stall. Sure, the factory converter will feel more responsive because it's tighter but it won't flash to 3500 when you mat the throttle.

That's when it gets fun.
I totally agree on the fun part Madmann, except i think what me, the OP, and others feel is that we are out of the throttle cruising our DD 90% of the time and matting the throttle 10% or so .. so for me i hate a stall in a DD. Ive owned Circle D, Yank, Vig and a few others.. but yes for a weekend toy or something im all for it.. maybe im just getting old.. With my Denali for example im going stock stall, full boltons, baby cam (215/227) maybe some 3.73s, and maybe a Positive diplacement blower.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who hates DDing a stall?