Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

that annoying sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default that annoying sound?

Ok guys a month or so ago i posted up about this very annoying sound my truck was making, i though it was the front passenger side hub. Spent $165 on that, and it wasnt the problem. So i keep on drivin it gettin annoyed every time, worse and worse. But i finally got around and ordered bearings for the rear axle 4 bearings and 2 seals. didnt worry bout the pinion bearing. tonight was the first night i didnt have anything to do, so i went and bought 2 large pizza's and a 12pack of mountain dews... get a few of my friends together, and we eat. Then we started tearing into the rear axle.. long story kindof short. the inner race on the differential was a sever BUTT to get off, but after 3 broken chisels we got it off and put all 4 bearings and 2 seals in and filled it up with fluid and friction modifier. She runs like new again with out noises.. ill hopefully get some pics up in a day or two.. the outer and inner races had some funny markings on them, pretty much like when they strap down a vechicle wrong during shipment, and the bearings press into the races in one spot? but anyway im happy i got it fixed.. Parts so far are only $62 and i still have to pay for 2 more bearings, and 2 pizzas and a 12pack of MD was about $24. but next time i get into there im goin to stuff 4.11's and a eaton locker. but that is goin to be after i get some more money saved up and more time off work..
Thanks guys for reading, hopefully it just might help someone...
LATER!
Old 12-30-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH and i found a nail in my brand new toyo! rear driver side.. only 400 miles and already got a plug