Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

another 4L60E kill...in the DD

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation another 4L60E kill...in the DD

Well it finally happened tonight. I was on my way home from school when I looked down to see my rpms rising up at a steady cruise. Pulled over to check the fluid level and it was fine but smelled burnt (still looked alright). Temp gauge read 150 so that was normal. I got back in and tried to take off and nothing happened!. No drive, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, or reverse. So I'm clueless as whats wrong. It has been doing some strange things recently but I didnt think much of it. So it looks like aamco put the hurt on me when I least expected it. THis is the 7th trans I've had and with only 23,000 its given up the ghost. I'm looking into rebuild kits and upgrades right now but I'm so lost. Where do I find literature on the 60e beef up parts? Looking for some reading material before I start the money train. Thanks for any input you guys have,

Clint
Old 03-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Banned

it's tranny month dude< my 4l65E .. took a dump 2 . you need 2 beef up the tranny > CLUTCHE'S ( red=good , blue=best ) OEM grey ones. temp 2 burn < Wideband (borg warner or ALTO ) SPRAG* ( 29 elements ) < The BEAST SHELL / 5 pinion planetary ( front and rear ) billet servos (both 1-2 & 3-4 ) hardened input & output shaft < HD2 shift kit (transgo), depends on ur budget<< " but these are the weak parts that tend 2 break" < < <dont forget the cooler ( true cool 40K ) BEST cooler < < < . . keep us posted on ur build tranny.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Sorry about the misfortune bro, it seems like everybody's is goin out these days.

4L60s really are hit and miss. I've beaten the snot out of mine for 61k miles, and it still shifts like it did when news.

My tune is a little on the aggressive side, and has 75% TM removed, since 350. My only trans mods are servos and HD2. I do change the fluid every 30k.

Last edited by BOSS302; 06-07-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:15 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

7th trans? geeze man, thats ridiculous. Mine went out a few weeks ago as well, 2-3 clutch was gone.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by 20002wdchevy
Well it finally happened tonight. I was on my way home from school when I looked down to see my rpms rising up at a steady cruise. Pulled over to check the fluid level and it was fine but smelled burnt (still looked alright). Temp gauge read 150 so that was normal. I got back in and tried to take off and nothing happened!. No drive, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, or reverse. So I'm clueless as whats wrong. It has been doing some strange things recently but I didnt think much of it. So it looks like aamco put the hurt on me when I least expected it. THis is the 7th trans I've had and with only 23,000 its given up the ghost. I'm looking into rebuild kits and upgrades right now but I'm so lost. Where do I find literature on the 60e beef up parts? Looking for some reading material before I start the money train. Thanks for any input you guys have,

Clint
Places like Aamco are not all that good. Typically, They only fix whats wrong with the transmission as apposed to completely rebuilding it and replacing every thing. While I am sure there is always an exception to the rule most Places like that only fix the general problem. If your not qualified to do it your self, I would recomending contacting one of our sponsers. I have spoken to a few and my personal choice would be an FLT Unit. I don't want get in to a who's better and why Battle but bassically It comes down the answers I got from the questions I asked. I also did some Research on the subject. The biggest thing I see Is Heat and Fluid level. After that, if it has been apart the following apply;

What did they actually do...
What was actually replaced...
Were the Stack up clearances actually checked during a dry pre assembley with all parts being dry...
Was it slaped together with the typical "Well it all felt good going together and there was Roughly x-amount of clearance"...

There is plenty of parts you can throw at one of these transmissions to help it live longer But it won't make a bit of difference in how long it last If It's not properly being assembled. That includes replacing electrical parts. If you are having Ghost problems that come and go... I am sure you have internall electrical problems. It could be a short in the harness... or at one of the solinoid conections.

I highley recomend you go through this thread. Alot of good insight and better under standing on what it takes to properly assemble a Transmission.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-lot-pics.html

Other then that, Use google to search around or go on ebay and see what parts are avalible in some of the different sellers stores. Its hard to list them all....

Just remember any one can build a transmission But very few can assemble it properly so that it will last. There is plenty of stories on just this site alone....

Either way Good luck on the next go around!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:20 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^I like that link!^^
Old 03-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Teching In

7 transmissions in 23,000 miles? Something seems amiss.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:17 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are your mods that took out 7 60E's in 23K? Are you boosted? If you've killed that many 60E's, maybe you're a candidate for an 80E...
Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

4l65E @ 19k . . .(:
Old 03-28-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Did you try manual 1st, 2nd and 3rd? If those work then your forward clutch is smoked.

As much as I hate to see these threads I also love to see these threads because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing I have a 4L80E in my 95. I didn't want to become just another built 4L60E death statistic.

Quick Reply: another 4L60E kill...in the DD