Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Another G80 bites the dust...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang i musta missed when you put meth on it. get the good stuff man, im surprised you werent going to go 4.10's.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it was a bad racing weekend for both of us as I broke the rear at the track this weekend also. I was still able to drive it home though but both wheels are locked together all the time now.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=469486

After reading this thread I now know where to buy the Trutrac - Rons.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I considered gearing it down, but the 3.73s are a good all-around gear, if this was an all-out drag truck I would probably go lower. With all these RCSBs seeing such awesome results with so few mods, my work on the ECSB will soon come to an end. I will probably end up picking up an RCSB in a couple years and doing a bit of work to it. I can modify the hell out of the ECSB, but with the weight and wheelbase, its never going to be as fast as I'd like. It is a fat pig and I don't feel like gutting it out. I'm just going to get it to a point where I'm content with it and leave it.
More to come on future plans for this truck...
Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice to meet you at the track, Jake. I was wondering why I saw you in the pits for a while. My buddy said he heard your truck making some clanking noises in the pits and the first thing that came to mind was G80, lol. It was bound to happen with the power and slicks you have. Oh well, now you have to get a TruTrac. The best I got that night was 16.2 @ 88 MPH. Pretty pathetic but I was kinda expecting it in this altitude and temperature. We're all thinking about heading out for T/T on Saturday night too. Plan on coming out if parts arrive Friday?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Launching!

The track sucked that night. My best 60ft was a 2.69.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 AM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone shoudl collect and build a piece of art solely made out of grenaded g80's
Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Thanks guys! Thats who I was looking for. Ron, you have a pm!

As promised...

The final bang happened when I was brake stalling the truck in the pits to get boost up to activate the meth. Thing is, I know for a fact that the locker wasn't engaged when I pulled back into the pits off the return road. The lock pin was bent on one side and broken off on the other side. Nothing was left of the spider gears, they were mangled at the bottom. The cross shaft had clear wear signs that could not have happened just brake stalling it - if I remember, I'll get a pic up of the cross shaft when I get back to my truck at the end of the week.

So I really don't know how long the rear end has been on its way out... It was definitely an over-time thing.

But the soda can of a drive shaft took it like a champ! I was babying the hell out of it on the launches though. Brake stalled to 1000rpm, no boost. So the truck launched on blower and then turbo took over. ET was 13.8 at 98, 60' 2.1, RT was in the .5XX range. Damn pro trees!

Didn't even get to tune for the meth If I can get parts in by Friday I'll have it back up and running next weekend.
i can tell you when it happened. when you decided to throw a tvs AND a turbo on there. you were doomed from day one.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Mod with training wheels

That night kinda sucked all together I wasn't even boosting the launches, just taking it real easy...but I'm sure the instant boost from the TVS off the line is what bent that pin.

Parts are here though, just waiting to install them until I have some time. Upgrading the diff and gears only puts the performance bottleneck somewhere else...not looking forward to discovering that flaw lol.

Don't think I'll be goin out to the test n tune this weekend. My main focus is just getting the rear end fixed and tuning for meth as much as I can. I wasn't able to even use the meth that night. Probably going to stick to tuning on the street first, then head out to the track later on to fine tune it.

We were all joking about making a desk paperweight out of the parts from the G80 too
Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

is justin still tuning your truck or you doing it on your own now? just curious
Old 09-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Mod with training wheels

I'm doing it on my own now. I make changes too often and am too picky for someone else to do it. Not to mention meth can't be tuned for in the mail

Quick Reply: Another G80 bites the dust...