Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Any competent trany builders in the easter part of the country ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest you pull that performabuilt out and sell it go with the 80E and shift kit my PB lvl 2 just took a crap on me for the 2nd time after 13,000 miles the first one was replaced under warranty except for the damm $300 shipping plus $200 more for install im **** out of luck now with no warranty and a messed up tranny.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SILVERBIRCH
I would suggest you pull that performabuilt out and sell it go with the 80E and shift kit my PB lvl 2 just took a crap on me for the 2nd time after 13,000 miles the first one was replaced under warranty except for the damm $300 shipping plus $200 more for install im **** out of luck now with no warranty and a messed up tranny.
Damn man that sucks, that was the reason for this thread, was to get a idea of some one closer to me. My 2 has been flawless under boost for over 3 years, I am sure over 100 WOT blast, about 10 times down the 1320, but I also do not do the ultimate no no with the 60, that is let it slam passing gear, shift into OD under WOT. Fluid is still red, hasn't missed a beat. I do want to turn the boost up some, I fear it will not last long, as that would surly put me over the 600 whp mark. Just need to hunt down a good builder that isn't going to break it off in my ***. But now days that is asking for alot
Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you do a high performance build it isnt take apart and put together. You didnt have a press reg valve on your list. they a prone to.wear and will set you back at least 50 bucks. also a boost valve is around that. then the valve body. afl valve is almost always replaced. different springs for accumolators, solenoids, epc, and what ever other parts each builder likes. also your rear band is a good one to.swap. your low roller sprag is probably broken, intermediate sprag will need to be upgraded for any real power, you running all worn bushings, now that a good bit of the parts are covered how about the time to do all upgrades needed for even minor power and a worth a damn trans. dual feed, rollerize, spring changes, pump work, seperator plate, etc.

just showing that for a true good build no matter what "level" you still have a lot to do if you want a truley reliable trans. and thats not even everything for a basic rebuild.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Typing on a phone > me

Im sure you get the idea though john
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Baltimore Whore

Yes I surly do. I have been doing a bit of home work, honestly I would prob replace with all stock GM items, as well as the shafts if they were broke( doubt that though) I am not a trans builder, but have seen what the stock units are taking, if I had some time and the patience I would attempt it my self.. I can buy the stg 2 rebuild kit from Jakes for 7xx bucks, I am sure I a track the stuff down i can find it cheaper if i look, plan the build rather then just buy it out rite. I am trying to save some money vs just dumping it all, if ya get what I am saying

Jakes kit(s)
4L80E BASIC KIT-
This is a basic rebuild kit with all new frictions, steels, paper/rubber set, filter, front band, pump, case, and output bushing. We always use the '97-up style kit as it will work fine on the earlier units and includes the better friction materials.
$250 plus shipping.

4L80E FULL REBUILD KIT-
Includes all the components of the BASIC kit but adds a full set of bushings, thrust washers, OEM rear band, and low roller clutch.
$350 plus shipping.

4L80E STAGE II KIT-
All the rebuild components we use to build our STAGE II units.
Everything above plus new shift solenoids, internal harness, boost valve, HD intermediate snap ring, upgraded friction count for direct, rear torrington bearing, machined forward hub with torrington bearing, 34 element sprag, OD roller clutch, and instructions/parts to make your own hydraulic improvements without buying a valve body kit.
$700
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

I gotcha. the 700 is about what you need. yes a stock will last, but how long? do you want to.spend this money just to do it again soon? there are still some parts on top of his kit i would highly reccomend. nothing major, but do it once do.it right!

and keep in mind all guys you talk to.will have a different idea for a basic rebuild and thats why price is probably all over. i would charge you right about 2k for a basic rebuild if you told me it was for a procharged truck. i dont want you to have problems with it, but im not going to sell what you dont need.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I know there is performabuilt. I am running one of their 60's now and has been trouble free for over 3 years. However I picked up a blown up 80( lost 1-R) and every place I call basically tells me it is easier and about as cheap to just buy one done. I am looking for a competent builder for my current one, will buy the needed parts to upgrade it, steels, shift kit ect. Just can't see 2k Plus for a rebuild. I really want to turn the boost up
Quit being a ***** and show me what that lvl2 perfomabuilt can do!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
I gotcha. the 700 is about what you need. yes a stock will last, but how long? do you want to.spend this money just to do it again soon? there are still some parts on top of his kit i would highly reccomend. nothing major, but do it once do.it right!

and keep in mind all guys you talk to.will have a different idea for a basic rebuild and thats why price is probably all over. i would charge you right about 2k for a basic rebuild if you told me it was for a procharged truck. i dont want you to have problems with it, but im not going to sell what you dont need.

I see where your coming from, but essentially I can buy a lvl 2 from them for that much, basically why I am looking for some one where I can take it to or ship it for cheap, use all my hard parts, buy a kit and have them do the install. I know thats not how businesses work but again thats why I asked the ?? And no doubt different guys will say what is needed and what isn't. I know what this puny 60 has put up with, I have also seen lvl 4 80's take a **** with the same HP as I am putting out. So all in all it is still rolling the dice LOL. I am looking for a trans that will get me to the 10 second mark, I feel that a lvl 2 or something with similar parts should do it with out to much issue. Also I am in a rcsb truck that is fairy light 4200. Again driving habits play a roll, high rpms which I wouldn't consider 6500 on the shift high, esp the down shift areas and WOT into OD, which is something that I very rarely if ever have done or will do with either this one or the 80. I do not have the loot yet to even make a move, but am going to start a list going and possibly start piecing it together.

Originally Posted by dmelvin
Quit being a ***** and show me what that lvl2 perfomabuilt can do!
Hahaha, no more boost or stickier tires untill new trans is atleast in the works,

Last edited by Mangled03gmc; 01-04-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Note to self...never use Jake's Performance or recommend them to anyone! And if anyone asks about them, advise them that they are douche bags and treat their customers like crap!

Got it!!
Julien said it himself! Honestly, I had horrible luck with those guys, even spending the extra money on the valve body kit. I didn't make it home on that trans, it left me stranded...
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I see where your coming from, but essentially I can buy a lvl 2 from them for that much, basically why I am looking for some one where I can take it to or ship it for cheap, use all my hard parts, buy a kit and have them do the install. I know thats not how businesses work but again thats why I asked the ?? And no doubt different guys will say what is needed and what isn't. I know what this puny 60 has put up with, I have also seen lvl 4 80's take a **** with the same HP as I am putting out. So all in all it is still rolling the dice LOL. I am looking for a trans that will get me to the 10 second mark, I feel that a lvl 2 or something with similar parts should do it with out to much issue. Also I am in a rcsb truck that is fairy light 4200. Again driving habits play a roll, high rpms which I wouldn't consider 6500 on the shift high, esp the down shift areas and WOT into OD, which is something that I very rarely if ever have done or will do with either this one or the 80. I do not have the loot yet to even make a move, but am going to start a list going and possibly start piecing it together.

Hahaha, no more boost or stickier tires untill new trans is atleast in the works,

if you decide to take it on yourself let me know. i can give you some help on it and let you know what parts you really need.

if turning up the boost then you cant compare it to what the 60e could hold so remember its a new world. just becasue it weighs more doesnt make it stronger... a poor build can make one come apart no matter what parts are in it.

Quick Reply: Any competent trany builders in the easter part of the country ?