Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Any tips to get shackle bolt out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why all the complicated two jack crap? just leave the tires/axle on the ground and use a jack to lift up on the frame in the rear. keep lifting it up alittle at the time until the bolts aren't in a bind and they'll slide right out.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was just hammering it with my big fat ratcheting wrench lol. I did get a few of the thread but for the most part just hit the end of the bolt with no threads. The bolt would twist a teeny bit when I first started pulling on it with all my force directly downwards. But once it moved a little it just stopped. So Im thinking that the holes weren't lined up and I just needed to play with the axle a little more maybe. I'm going a couple things in order of increasing complexity tomorrow....first being just jacking the frame to various heights while keeping the tires down. If that doesnt work I'll get 1 tire off the ground and if that dont work Ill get the frame on jackstands again. Mostly I think it was just a combo of the bolt being rusted a bit and the holes not completely lined up.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 AM
SPAM HUNTER

I did it 1 side at a time. Jacked up the frame until the tire came off the ground. Supported it with a jack stand. Then raised or lowered the rear until all the bolt came out pretty much my hand. Took me about an hour. Take into consideration my frame looks nothing like GMCtrk's as far as rust, and i think i got lucky.

Dustin
Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 AM
SPAM HUNTER

I did it 1 side at a time. Jacked up the frame until the tire came off the ground. Supported it with a jack stand. Then raised or lowered the rear until all the bolt came out pretty much my hand. Took me about an hour. Take into consideration my frame looks nothing like GMCtrk's as far as rust, and i think i got lucky.

Dustin
Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the shackle bolt should slide right out, mine did all 3 times so far. jack the back of the truck up and put the jack stands as far back as you can, take ALL of the load off the springs (ie. rear end, shocks and NO jacks under the differential, let the side you are working on hang as low as it possibly can), take the nut off the bolt and the bolt should slide out, if it doesnt hit it a couple of times with a mallet (so you dont mushroom the end) or use a wrench and turn it out.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Launching!

BFH and take the nut off the bolt LOL
Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Frame on stands keeping the truck level help align the holes, if you jack up one side of the truck only, it twists the springs and makes removal a bitch IMO. On my old blazer, the bolts had rusted to the sleeve and I had to get inside the hanger and cut the bolt on each side of the spring eye.. that was a bitch. But yes, best practice is to use stands under the frame, shocks disconected and use a jack under the pumpkin to lift enough to remove all tension from the springs. When you get the axle in the right position, you will be able to pull the springs and see the bolt move a little in the hole (there is a little play) then beat the crap out of it, if it still won't come.... then heat it with a torch as your next option... then cut the bolt as a last ditch effort.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Jack stands on the frame up by the hangers with both wheels off the ground.
Use the jack to support the rear, under the pumpkin. I used clamps to compress the leafs. Takes the load off the leafs. Use the jack to lift/lower the rear until you can move the shackle by hand.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem with mine where the bolt would go aobut an inch and just stop and would not move and heres what I did. Get a pair of vice grips and clamp it on the bolt andd take a big f-in hammer and beat on the pliers. It took a good 5 minutes of hitting it and then it finnaly came out. The drivers side then came out with minimal hits the same way.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's tough for him to hit it with a hammer as the bed's in the way, not alot of room to swing. Might have to remove the bed...

I'd get some new bolts Michael, then you can beat the crap out of the current bolts all that you want. Are you planning on making a go at the shackles again?

Quick Reply: Any tips to get shackle bolt out?