Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Any tips to get shackle bolt out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I may give it another go when the tranny is getting put in...but honestly im pretty sick of wrenching on my truck. It wouldn't be so bad if I actually had a garage to work in. The underside is so rusted, it makes everything a pain in the ***.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go ahead and get new bolts, thats what I did for the passenger side anyway.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 PM

remove your bed , support the frame , remove the weight from the axle and then heat the bolt up with a torch and beat the **** out out it ..... thats what i had to do to mine
Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=GMCtrk;4158210]

QUOTE]

Just get the bolt out enough that you can get a pair of vice grips on the bolt and use a hammer and hit the vice grips close to where they are clamped on to the bolt. I did it without taking the bed off and only jacking up the side of the truck I was working on. Trust me I had the same problem your having and after trying 4 times someone suggested the vice grips and bam, the bolt was out in 5 minutes. I tried heating up the bolt, spraying pb blaster and cutting it but nothing worked till i tried the vice grips and it worked like a champ.
I think the whole neighborhood heard me when I got the damn thing out.:nunchuk1:
Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

If it is like mine was the inside of the bushing is rusted, making it impossible to slide out. I would have wrecked the bolt hitting it with a hammer. Even when the bolt was 90% out it still would not slide free. It had to be threaded through the rust. Once you get the new one in you will see why everyone is saying the bolt should practically fall out. But don't count on an easy removal.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by straped for cash
If it is like mine was the inside of the bushing is rusted, making it impossible to slide out. I would have wrecked the bolt hitting it with a hammer. Even when the bolt was 90% out it still would not slide free. It had to be threaded through the rust. Once you get the new one in you will see why everyone is saying the bolt should practically fall out. But don't count on an easy removal.
The bolt would start to turn (this was with a cheater bar) and there would reach a point where the head of the bolt was turning more than the opposite end of the bolt i.e. the bolt was twisting. Had I continued turning the bolt would have snapped eventually. So I just gave up, figured I'll try and get some help later on to get it out.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think the bolt will snap, but even with the impact wrench it took over an hour for both bolts (but I had to wait for the tank to air back up). It would turn a quarter and I would be too low on air. I used half a bottle of Wd-40 but it did not do much. Try heating the bolt to a cherry red with a hand held propane torch and if it should help with the rust. Otherwise, give up with the breaker bar and go to a shop.