Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

any way to add back an inch after usning flip kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Adding a leaf to a under axle kit will still gain height. Your increasing load capacity. Which will gain height. S10 are this way and adding a leaf increases height.

So before You go off trying school ppl and make them look dumb make sure you have a clue yourself
Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KleenHall
look in the mirror
either the shackle hanger is flipped or the axle is flipped, adding a leaf will gain height no matter what you say, if it says +1.5 you will gain that much
You said you used a leaf off another truck, why would that arch the springs more? All it does is take take the thickness off the leaf and goes down that much, like a block is used to lower trucks.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys are over-thinking the add-a-leaf. It will add arch to the leaf spring(and increase load carrying capacity). The added arch will move the axle farther away from the frame. Now, unless both of my ex-wives are right & I actually am a dumbass, the rear of the truck will sit higher than it did before the add-a-leaf was installed. Do I need to search google for pictures to help explain this?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
The thickness of the leaf pushes the axle up more, and drops the body more. It might stiffen up the leafs a little bit but I'd say it'd drop it more.

CORRECT !!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:29 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fake_usa

CORRECT !!
Well, it really doesn't matter how big you type. You are incorrect.

Take a look at this example. Adding the leaf below the axle, and below the main leaf, will not put the axle closer to the frame. It will add arch to the spring assembly, and move the axle farther away from the frame. That will lift the rear of the truck.

C'mon guys, this is pretty simple stuff here....
Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its obviously not simple enough, i cant believe some want to argue to the death when they are wrong
Old 08-15-2010, 09:55 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some ppl are just net repeaters like the two above at the top. for years ppl have lifted trucks using AAL. they dont do it for lowering purposes, they do it for lifts. My s10 had a AAL and i gained about 1.5" of height
Old 08-15-2010, 09:57 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Holy **** did I overthink the whole AAL deal. At least I wasn't completely wrong.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
some ppl are just net repeaters like the two above at the top. for years ppl have lifted trucks using AAL. they dont do it for lowering purposes, they do it for lifts. My s10 had a AAL and i gained about 1.5" of height
Who's "repeating" off the net. If we did that we'd post that it lifted the truck then since evidently that's right?

I figured it would drop the truck as much as the added arch would lift it and it would probably even out. Apparently I'm wrong.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Who's "repeating" off the net. If we did that we'd post that it lifted the truck then since evidently that's right?

I figured it would drop the truck as much as the added arch would lift it and it would probably even out. Apparently I'm wrong.
If you look at the picture above, the thickness of the leaf won't drop the truck at all. It isn't going between the leaf pack and the axle, it's essentially going under it. You could have a 2' thick AAL, and all it would do is necessitate longer u-bolts.

Quick Reply: any way to add back an inch after usning flip kit?