Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Anyone done research on T56 with 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 11:21 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read this and tell me what you get out of it....am I reading right that a T-56 from a mustang with a spacer welded on will mate up to a x-fer case?

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/pri...8&page=2&pp=20
Old 12-25-2005, 11:23 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Thunder in an 80e all you need to do is put a shift kit in it and it will be fine for what you do. Im only going to do a shift kti and clutches in mine ot put behind the new motor.
I meant the coversion kit, new electronics, having the driveshaft(s) modified, new cross-member, etc etc is the expensive part. If I'm gonna dump a bunch of money into it I'd rather pursue the 6-speed, which is what I really want.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Read this and tell me what you get out of it....am I reading right that a T-56 from a mustang with a spacer welded on will mate up to a x-fer case?

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/pri...8&page=2&pp=20
I wouldn't think it would need to be a mustang t56. You'd run into input shaft issues then. Stick with an LS1 based t56 and see if an adapter plate can work. I hopefully won't be pulling my tail housing off, but if you buy me a gasket for it I will. That way we could look at the output shaft and tailhousing bolt pattern to see what all would need to be done. A custom output shaft might not be that expenssive. Any capable machine shop could do it, just having the splines cut would take some research. And no I'm not hitting on you....not unless you want me too.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:56 AM
High on diesel fumes

How much are gaskets? If my transfer case really took a dump I will have a dead one that can be used for mock-up purposes. Might be a good combination. I see a trip or two to Tucson in the near future.....and no, not because you are hitting on me.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Chris,

I just read that Pro-Touring thread not too long ago. The only reason the guy used a Mustang tranny was for the forward shifter position. I think you'll have a tough time getting a T56 to live for very long in your truck. At your traction level - probably comparable to a Camaro on slicks - most guys are running very expensive transmissions (ie NASCAR style stuff) or rebuilding the T56 often. For street use, I don't think it would last more than a couple of months, but I could be wrong.

Try talking to these guys this week:http://www.ddperformance.com/

They're probably the most knowledable group around for the 6 speed. Don't forget you'll have to fit up pedals, linkage/hydraulics, you'll need a new flywheel, clutch, etc. If you have to lengthen any of the driveshafts, they'll have to be made new, and those are generally over $200 each.

So as not to be a total downer: Merry Christmas dude! I might be going to Cali this week after all, so I'll give you a call tomorrow and let you know.

Later,
Ryan
Old 12-25-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

The clutch, flywheel, pp, pedal, master, crossmember can all be easily had. And they all bolt right up.

Talk to LS1joe at ls1tech. He runs t56rebuilds.com and they have t56's that can handle 4 digit hp/tq figures, with all sorts of models in between. A RC SRT-10 probably weighs as much as your truck, with similar power. $1500 in a t56 goes a lot farther than it does in a 60e. Synchros could be an issue. Sure you could get one pro-shifted with liberty gears and all but I don't think you'll need it. Plus double clutching on the street sucks. You might be ok on the rear ds situation too. If you have a carrier bearing there might be enough room to play with it to make up for the adapter plate.

The big area of concern I see is the life of the clutch. The aftermarket clutches that are made to handle the abuse are stiff, they tend to chatter and some might not be so street friendly. Textralia's OZ700 and the SPEC stage 3i are probably your best bets. You probably won't have to slip the clutch though if you launched in 4wd, so that would definatley help clutch life.

I wouldn't get too carried away until you know the output shaft situation. Plus I'm not sure if the TC is supported in some way, or if it just hangs off the back of the tranny. If it just hangs off the back of the 60e, I wouldn't do that to the t56. It's not designed for that, so a TC crossmember might be in order.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:43 PM
High on diesel fumes

OK I will give those places a call tomorrow, if they're open. And yep, the TC is just hanging off the end of the tranny.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:59 AM
High on diesel fumes

So I been thinking....aside from the mounting of the tc on the t56, i'd have to figure out how to get the electronics right so the 4wd selector knew where the tranny was/clutch pressed in to shift from 4lo to either hi range gear. I dunno how autotrac would react, plus i have remote start that would basically become non-functional. And I tow a lot in the summer and off-road from time to time, both of which would require slipping the clutch. The more I think about it, the more I think a built 65E is the way to go. The T-56 would be cool, but I just don't think it's practical.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Well here's some food for thought: If you can get a hold of one.....and believe me I tried.....really ******* hard, but the dealerships here are retarded. A 4L70E has a dealer price of $1285. It comes in 2wd and 4wd versions. If you put a shift kit and some servos in it, you'd be good to go. It already has the updated hard parts, and better clutches and band than the 65e. That's what I was going to do, but ALL the dealers down here look at me like I'm speaking French. Talk to zippy he could tell you more and hook you up with the proper shift kit for it. You'll need to turn in your core, but since the 70e uses the same case, I doubt they'd know the difference.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:57 PM
High on diesel fumes

You got any idea what the hp/torque ratings are for the 70E?

Quick Reply: Anyone done research on T56 with 4wd?