Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Anyone ever have a powerslot rotor do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever have a powerslot rotor do this?

This is the inside face of the passenger front rotor on my DD 2001 Pontiac Grandprix. This rotor is a little over three years old. The car started shuddering like the rotors were warped, and when I tore it down this is what I found. The pad that runs on this face is about half as thick as all of the others too. Anyone know what might have caused this other than a faulty rotor?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going with faulty rotor or caliper.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

With that much pad remaining I'd vote for a sticking caliper..take it apart and grease up the slide pins. Being in a crappy climate is the enemy of the calipers.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like that thing was under a lake for about 5 years...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Ya, I would agree with fry. Its not uncommon for the slides to stick. When you replace the pads do all the hardware too (the slides that come with them) and like fry said, lube up the pins and you shouldnt have that problem again.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are the slider pins moving Tom? I've seen them sieze and create issues like that. I don't remember your rotors looking that bad when we pulled them apart last time to fix the squeak (how long ago was that?).

FWIW, my factory rotors rusted up like that, but the pad wear was even. I had the rotors replaced under warranty and those rusted up as well. I replaced those with some slotted rotors from Praise Dyno about 4 or 5 years ago and they've been fine ever since
Old 03-04-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

The caliper pins where coated with never sieze when I did the first brake job, but the lower one was rusted, so it might very well have been sticking. I am planning to replace the rotors, pads, and all four pins.

You TX guys don't know what it is like to put vehicles through salt and snow, but I have been very dissappointed with how the Powerslots have weathered. I won't be putting another set on anything I own.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Don't feel bad, I put SSBC brakes on mine last year and they look like crap...and my truck is stored winters and hardly sees the rain! I wish I took the time to paint the rotor hats before I did them, I still might sand them down and do it this spring.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrumm
The caliper pins where coated with never sieze when I did the first brake job, but the lower one was rusted, so it might very well have been sticking. I am planning to replace the rotors, pads, and all four pins.

You TX guys don't know what it is like to put vehicles through salt and snow, but I have been very dissappointed with how the Powerslots have weathered. I won't be putting another set on anything I own.
Yea, I thought that we also put some anti-sieze on them the last time out too.

Oh yea, make sure that the caliper piston will depress, if not, it's siezed and you need a new caliper.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have a powerslot rotor do this?