Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Anyone rebuild front diff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Seen more issues with the autotrac front diffs than with manually shifted or even awd..... And the 4wd with auto engage more than you realizeit does, dirt in a turn will cause it to engage.... At times the difference in speed of the front tires in a turn will cause it to engage, think about it, on a right turn, the right front tire is almost at a stand stillif not going backwards slightly, depending on speed, sharpness of turn etc, while the left front tire is moving throughout the turn.... The difference in wheel speeds can be enough to trigger the 4wd to engage... Not to mention the difference in speeds of rear tires..... My yukon when i initially test drove it, was in auto 4wd. I heard the grinding turned it to 2wd mode when i started driving it and told the salesman that it needed to be fixed, before i bought it..... Needless to say i am going to have a conversation with one of the owners tomorrow, along with the shop foreman and service manager.... This yukon has been one problem after another at this point...... The first month i had it it was at the dealership for at least 3 weeks total fixing **** that shouldve been taken care of, including loose lug nuts!!!!
Old 12-03-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Seen more issues with the autotrac front diffs than with manually shifted or even awd..... And the 4wd with auto engage more than you realizeit does, dirt in a turn will cause it to engage.... At times the difference in speed of the front tires in a turn will cause it to engage, think about it, on a right turn, the right front tire is almost at a stand stillif not going backwards slightly, depending on speed, sharpness of turn etc, while the left front tire is moving throughout the turn.... The difference in wheel speeds can be enough to trigger the 4wd to engage... Not to mention the difference in speeds of rear tires..... My yukon when i initially test drove it, was in auto 4wd. I heard the grinding turned it to 2wd mode when i started driving it and told the salesman that it needed to be fixed, before i bought it..... Needless to say i am going to have a conversation with one of the owners tomorrow, along with the shop foreman and service manager.... This yukon has been one problem after another at this point...... The first month i had it it was at the dealership for at least 3 weeks total fixing **** that shouldve been taken care of, including loose lug nuts!!!!
So as long as we keep it out of auto it should be fine technically right? Or in conclusion, the auto mode is what really gives them a beating...

I feel ya on DD headaches. I brought my 2000 Tahoe (OBS) back from the dead but only paid $1500 for it. Still fixing things on it, one of the last being this front diff issue...
Old 12-04-2015, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I went from a 13 ccsb to this 08..... Shoulda kept the truck
Old 12-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I had mine apart after a year of abuse to try and fix it from leaking at the center split line and the passenger side seal. I think I fixed the passenger side seal but it still gets wet on the case (maybe a drop ever month), so I just ignore it. I think I actually lost one of the needles in one of the bearings I had it in there.

I have left it engaged after a track run by accident and had to make sharp turns (mine is the manual shift so it was all locked in) and it was fine. Only way I could tell was it took more throttle to make it go in a turn.

You don't want to put a locker in the front unless you do a solid axle. My feeling is if you try to lock the front with any significant power on any sort of good traction condition you will break it. It being open lets it spin which takes the stress of a lot of the parts.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
I had mine apart after a year of abuse to try and fix it from leaking at the center split line and the passenger side seal. I think I fixed the passenger side seal but it still gets wet on the case (maybe a drop ever month), so I just ignore it. I think I actually lost one of the needles in one of the bearings I had it in there.

I have left it engaged after a track run by accident and had to make sharp turns (mine is the manual shift so it was all locked in) and it was fine. Only way I could tell was it took more throttle to make it go in a turn.

You don't want to put a locker in the front unless you do a solid axle. My feeling is if you try to lock the front with any significant power on any sort of good traction condition you will break it. It being open lets it spin which takes the stress of a lot of the parts.
Good info. My drivers side bearing is so trashed that with the truck up in the air, I can raise the CV axle flange by hand and the actual diff axle will rise by a 1/2" or more. The seal is of course trashed as a result. This is on a bone stock truck that has never seen big tires or a lift kit. This is on my DD 2000 Tahoe but I notice on my 05 Silverado the drivers side bearing isn't as bad as the tahoe's but it still has more up/ down play than the drivers side which leads me to believe the drivers side bearing wears quicker than the passenger. Most of the youtube tutorials the guys are doing a seal / bearing on the drivers...I thought it was hilarious this chick was getting her hands dirty!!