Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Anyone Run Brembo Drilled Discs on a 2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone Run Brembo Drilled Discs on a 2005

Looking for reports on Brembo replacment drilled rotors for a 2005 Silverado with rear drums. They would be 12.99" rotors.

Did thety warp, brake better or just look better? What pads did you run?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I ran them on all 4 corners of my old 2000 ext cab. They did great and lasted a long time. They eventually heat cracked and I replaced them but I think I got about 3yrs out of the full set.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drilled rotors just look better, but have slightly less surface area when you hit the brakes and do not like high heat situations like towing.. Brake pads can make a difference, especially the HD towing package ones.

I autocross and race a Corvette and at HPDE events when people show up with drilled rotors they often crack the rotor that day. At a race you never see drilled rotors.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Drilled rotors just look better, but have slightly less surface area when you hit the brakes and do not like high heat situations like towing.. Brake pads can make a difference, especially the HD towing package ones.

I autocross and race a Corvette and at HPDE events when people show up with drilled rotors they often crack the rotor that day. At a race you never see drilled rotors.

Thanks, I have an 05 Silverado that distorts the brakes when doing a single panic stop to say, avoid a speeding ticket or a unexpected situation. This is with OE pads (Ceramic) and OE Rotors. I suspect its more material transfer than warping but still it happens.

I am currently getting ready to use Raybestos Advanced Technology Rotors with Raybestos Police duty configured Bi-metal pads.
Do you know anything about these items. The Raybestos tech explained the Police pads are designed to withstand pursuit conditions and will not fade or transfer materials unevenly as easily and brake good.

I'm not so sure about them but am going to give them a try. If you had a 2005 Z71 Ext Cab with a supercharger on it what Rotor would you be looking at? My truck config link is in my signature.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

I have r1concepts drilled/slotted rotors all around. I went through 3 stock rotors the first year I owned my truck. I dd my truck, and at least once every 2 weeks I go for a drive and run the hell out of it on curvy back roads, and have had the same rotors since late '07. The drilled/slotted rotors reduced brake fade to almost nothing, braided stainless brake lines really firmed up the pedal a lot, and hydroboost made braking so much more consistent with boost.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brent1976
I have r1concepts drilled/slotted rotors all around. I went through 3 stock rotors the first year I owned my truck. I dd my truck, and at least once every 2 weeks I go for a drive and run the hell out of it on curvy back roads, and have had the same rotors since late '07. The drilled/slotted rotors reduced brake fade to almost nothing, braided stainless brake lines really firmed up the pedal a lot, and hydroboost made braking so much more consistent with boost.
Thanks, How many miles you getting on your pads? And what kind, and be they Ceramics or Bi-metal?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bi-metal or metallic brakes will certainly stop better than the ceramic brakes, I drive a 2004 Escalade ESV and since I tow an enclosed trailer (7500 lbs), I inspect my rotors and pads quite often using a MIC. I have the Hawk Super Duty pads on Stock rotors--52,000 miles and 50% brake pad left. At 25% pad-life remaining your pads become worthless quickly because of heat transfer and you rotors when they get thin will warp and crack easily.

The Raybestos you mentioned are a very good set-up. HTH
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gordy M

The Raybestos you mentioned are a very good set-up. HTH
Thanks, I have read reviews on the police pads and they say its one of the most fade resistant pads that have tried. Maybe they didn't try specialties like Hawk and such.