Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Anyone Try An All Sonnax Stratigy

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The attached list is what I work from. There may be slight overlap with some parts. Use as a reference.

Gregg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
4L60E HP Build List_Post_.pdf (10.9 KB, 1341 views)
Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clutch packs

I have heard some guys say that more discs in a clutch pack is not necessarily a good thing because the discs have to be thinner to fit in the same space, making overheating inevitable.

how do you feel about this?

how much money are we talkin' for that list of parts??

this is a great thread. I have my tranny apart for other reaons now, and may duplicate this build. my wife hates the part throttle 1-2 shifts, and I love the full throttle shifts. this may be just what I was looking for.

Last edited by 06sierra5.3; 09-03-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Teching In

You are correct, there is a relationship between disc thickness, heat dissipation capacity and friction area. I do not have all the answers here but my recommendations are on the list.
I do not know what the total is but the whole list is going to be a substantial investment and not all pieces are available from the same source. That’s what makes the rebuilt/exchange units available from suppliers on this site such an attractive way to go.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 06sierra5.3
I have heard some guys say that more discs in a clutch pack is not necessarily a good thing because the discs have to be thinner to fit in the same space, making overheating inevitable.
how do you feel about this?
how much money are we talkin' for that list of parts??
this is a great thread. I have my tranny apart for other reaons now, and may duplicate this build. my wife hates the part throttle 1-2 shifts, and I love the full throttle shifts. this may be just what I was looking for.
No heat increase on mine. I have HPTuners logs of before and after and there is no change. This is important for me to watch because some trans tuning tables use the Temp as a parameter.
I also logged before this to check the trans temp gauge accuracy and it's dead on. I have a Police 140MPH cluster that the supplier added the temp gauge to.

As for the wife and the 1-2. Let her know the cold morning 1-2 will be a tad heavy until it warms up. Nothing like the Trans-go was all the time though. I am curently working in my HPTuners to dial it out. Not becaue it's that bad, but because I have HPTuners and can.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Digging up an old thread here, hoping Greg Nader might be able to comment...I've got a 2005 Sierra 1500, 5.3L HO (all aluminum) and currently the only mods are an AEM cold air intake and and superchips handheld programmer (which is USELESS and actually the cause of a lot of grief right now) I went out and bought the Sonnax servos (both) and the 4l60E HP kit....the problem is that I've got the truck programmed with superchips's mileage XS tune right now and when I went to remove it, the superchips won't power up at all...so I'm looking at having it flashed to stock at a dealer and then installing the transmission hard parts...my question is this, is that the best route to go, or should I try to find a custom tuner and have them install the trans parts and tune it? How much would additional tuning help the TRANSMISSION after the Sonnax parts were installed? I realize I'll get a lot out of tuning the motor and whatnot, but that will come later, as I'm trying to budget this out as best as I can....any thoughts, input? (aside from "just get the parts put in and tuned now, you won't regret it!" haha Thanks to all who reply!
-Mike
Old 11-09-2010, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

I am interested to see what you find as I also have a 2005 5.3 l33 and did the transgo plate along with new aluminum pistons, drilled out the plate and also used the sonax 2-3 hd shift valve and pinless forward piston. Kept the 1-2 and 3-4 with new stock pins and aluminum pistons... It seems to be fine for me and not to harsh. Just curious what you will find when add your stuff to your tranny. Also I do have a predator which allows you to custom tune a lot of stuff in the tranny as well. I haven't messed with anything as I used the trango hd-2 kit, and didn't need to(kept all tranny settings stock for now). I also added the corevette servo and one gold shim in the servo, per the transgo kit. Also I removed all the check ***** and replaced them with thorlon plastic ones which should take care of them from ruining my plate and wearing a hole in it.

Last edited by 48548; 11-09-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I worked with Nader on my all sonnax build and was advised to leave the transmission tune at stock and let the hardware have a chance to do its job.
I have a custom tuned Radix with no changes to the transmission other than a little TM removal.