Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Anyone who's bought a new Eaton Limited Slip please come in here

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone who's bought a new Eaton Limited Slip please come in here

I just bought a new in the box eaton limited slip diffy from a member on here and I can tell the unit has never been used, however there's oodles of grease packed into the clutch plates and leaking out the holes on the side. Does eaton do this to prevent rust from the factory or what is the reason for this? Will the grease work its way out after installing the diffy and running it awhile? I plan on changing the gear oil once after swapping it in. Just wondering if this is normal, that's all
Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was like that too.. i guess it does keep it from rusting since they dont know how long they will be kept on the shelf at dealers??
Old 01-12-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm curious why you went with the Eaton over the trutrac?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The eaton is a superior unit for wet/snow/sand/mud traction over the trutrac. The only place that the trutrac comes close to the eaton LSD is on pure dry pavement. I've owned torsen style diffy's & clutch style diffy's. No worm geared diffy has ever compared to a clutch style IMO. Torsen's have been a waste of time for me.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet if you put some gear lube on the grease it will disappear.

Sortof like trans gel.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Doesn't the Trutrac deliver power equally to both tires at any MPH? I was told a Posi would revert back to a 1-tire-fire at a given MPH... For example the stock G80 is like 30mph, and a Eaton Posi is like 50... BTW those are just made up numbers but the point is what I am talking about..
Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

gov locks like the g80 will
not the eaton posi
Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

I had replaced my OEM G80 in my old 2003 GMC after warranty, the first time with an Eaton LSD. It worked fine for a few months, then it started popping and locking up and so forth. When I opened up the rear diff, I found that I had a few pieces of broken metal in there. I replaced it again with the same unit. The new Eaton worked fine for about a year, but after a new cam and stall, a couple of tire roasting burnouts later, the Eaton failed again. This time it broke and internal gear and cam.

Frustrated with this, I called my Differential & Driveline Supplier and upon his reccomendation, I purchased an Auburn Locker. It was of a diffrent design than the Eaton as where it didn't use the clutch system. I was very impressed with the Auburn as it is still in the truck today. Even after selling the truck to a 17 year old kid who abuses it daily, it's still working fine.

From this point on I will use only the Auburn locker.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The auburn lockers ive dealt with for our 8.625" 10 bolt were very weak. I help a buddy replace his twice because it kept breaking the case. he had 32" all terrains and he was bone stock 5.3 with a 100 shot. So after the last time we put a Eaton LSD in it cause ive had great luck with it and so has another friend in his Z71.

This Eaton,
Is the one i have...

You do know the G80 is made by Eaton? So dont get them mixed up.

Ive had my Eaton LSD in my truck for over 2 years and ~45k miles and its never slipped or hickuped on my one time. You also have to use Dino oil and Friction Modifier just incase you didnt know..

The factory Eaton G80 you use Synthetic.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am running the eaton LSD and love it with over 500rwtq never any problems and nice even black stripes down the street.

Quick Reply: Anyone who's bought a new Eaton Limited Slip please come in here