Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Auburn lsd

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auburn lsd

Anybody know what fluid the Auburn lsd uses. I was thinking it uses a natural blend instead of synthetic.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:44 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Taken from the manual with my Auburn Pro Series:

Important Lubricant Note

The Auburn Gear limited-slip differential design has been extensively tested with high quality NON-SYNTHETIC 80W90 hypoid oils treated with GM friction additives (3 oz. of additive will treat 1 quart of oil). To avoid differential clutch chatter (noise) and for OPTIMUM performance, use the oil and additive described above. Use of other additive and oil types may cause differential clutch chatter.

GM Part Number: 1052358 (additive)

Hope this helps!
Old 06-01-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to get on their site www.auburngear.com but no luck here. It was down for some reason.

I think you'd be okay with either a Syn or Dino oil as long as you get the LSD additive in there. It's a little 4oz pouch thingee. I use either a 75/90 or 80/90 gear oil. They are both about the same. The gear oil needs that GL-5 stuff I think it is.

BTW...when you change that oil you'll know why that part of the truck is called the "rear end", smells like ***.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Dirty B... you're saying you need 3-4oz of LSD additive per quart of gear oil?
Old 06-01-2004, 02:02 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Dirty B... you're saying you need 3-4oz of LSD additive per quart of gear oil?

That is what the directions say....I checked again. I typed them exactly as they read. I rememeber asking about the syn oil and they specificly said NO SYN OIL. They also said that the hypoid oils are better for the LS parts, i used exactly what they said and have not had one problem. When I used syn oil, the LS never worked right.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Crazy, I've only used one 4oz pouch per filling of the axle!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:38 PM
blownerator

Hmmm makes ya wonder??
Old 06-01-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

True, i wonder if too much additive will cause excessive slipping?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've made that mistake of using synthetic fluid in an auburn, never again. it lost all of it's preload and when i called them they told me using the synthetic fluid voided the warrenty on the friction material. they also recomended that i drive it around a bit with natural fluid then flush it and refill with natural fluid and gm additive. the preload came back to within spec, but for sure i'll never make that mistake with an auburn again.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zippy
i've made that mistake of using synthetic fluid in an auburn, never again. it lost all of it's preload and when i called them they told me using the synthetic fluid voided the warrenty on the friction material. they also recomended that i drive it around a bit with natural fluid then flush it and refill with natural fluid and gm additive. the preload came back to within spec, but for sure i'll never make that mistake with an auburn again.
I baught this auburn back in June of 02 and it worked fine for a while. it did have synthetic oil for like the first 6 weeks of use and I swapped out for some natural blend. Well my Auburn worked fine for the next 10 months then it became a one pegger. For some reason when I do a power brake, both wheels still spin but not during take off. I have a fairly new G80 I want to install but I was considering changing the fluid and adding the friction addititve and see if that will make it work. What are you thoughts on this? BTW, this is on my fiance's truck.

Quick Reply: Auburn lsd