Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Auto-trac chain replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The autotrac transfer case uses a multi disc clutch pac to engauge the front end. The clutches are simular to the ones in a automatic trans. The 1/2 tons usually have 7 clutches and the 3/4 tons have 10 I think. The awd transfer case used in the denallys use a viscous clutch I think most of the full size transfer cases that don't have low range use a viscous clutch?? I think you're tink noise is probably a ujoint. Remove your rear driveshaft and check if the Ujoints are locked up. Sometimes they actually seize up and will be full of rust. They won't have any rotational slack so checking them on the truck isn't good enough. The clutches in the autotrac transfer case are preloaded so it is normal not to be able to turn your front driveshaft if your truck is in park or the rear tires are on the ground unless you put a 4foot prybar in the ujoints a turn it with some leverage. Hows that for a run on sentence. I still need spellcheck.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Well, today I drove it to work and back and the problem is definitly getting worse. The noise is a horrible clanking sound with some squealing thrown in for good measure. The good news is that this noise stops after it shifts from first to second....the bad news is thats when the vibration begins.
The vibration stops when I let off the gas, or when I put it in nuetral and coast. I am thinking flywheel cracked or torque converter gone bad? Would the stock 4l60e torque conv. out of my 02 SS camaro work in the 02 suburban 4l60e?
If the flywheel isnt cracked or broken, then I could change them out to see if thats the problem? Any input guys? Thanks, Ron
Old 01-01-2007, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm sticken to the Ujoint. I had a pickup with a bad carrier bearing do the same thing you are describing, but you don't have a carrier bearing. Does it do it in reverse? Does it do it with you're transfercase in neutral?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya does it do it when you throw the trans in neutral and rev the engine?
Check out the write-up I did that is a sticky in this section, there are a few pictures of the inner workings of the autotrac.....
Old 01-02-2007, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Hope you guys are still on, I have all 4 wheels off the ground right now. It wont make the noise at all. I have run it up to about 3 grand in gear and no noise. I can hear what sounds like a sharp *clink* when i brake torque it, but nothing like what it was doing on the way home. When its on the ground it does it in forward and reverse. Does not do it in nuetral or when coasting (in or out of gear)
Old 01-02-2007, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Wilde, I read your writeup before I posted hoping to find something that helped me in my situation. Its a geat writeup and I will use it if I have to drop this friggin tranny, but I hope I wont have to
Old 01-02-2007, 01:58 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just re,read this thread, It does sound like a cracked flex plate, maybe you could pull the plastic bellhousing gaurds and check it out??
Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Guys, it looks like DirtyDave might be right. I took the rear d-shaft out like he suggested and the rear u-joint is toast. I have never heard a u-joint make this kind of noise. My experience with a crappy u-joint has been a *clunk* when putting it in gear or when decelerating.
This little gem literally howls and sounds like someone was beating the d-shaft with a hammer. The new u-joint is being pressed in as I type, so I'll have to put it back in later and try it out to see if that cures it...I think it will.
I appreciate everyones help, I panicked and was sure the tranny or auto trac was going out (i'm an idiot) Dave, send me your mailing address and I will mail you a beer lol. Thanks again, Ron
Old 01-02-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

I'll take that beer, Ron!https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=382381 I like Labatt Blue, btw...lol.

Glad you got it fixed.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Dammit Fry! I had forgotten that, and it was the first answer. Told you I was an idiot!
But a U-Joint and two beers plus shipping isnt a bad price to pay lol. Thanks again guys.Ron