Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

AWD IFS Rebuild, irregular clicking and clunking, Pics within

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD IFS Rebuild, irregular clicking and clunking, Pics within

I have this post over on SilveradoSS forums, but figured it will get more visibility here!

So this is my first post on here, I bought my SS in november and i started getting my first issue this past Tuesday. It sounds like clicking and clunking from the front end. Very irregular, so i ruled out CV, there was no play in the wheels so i didn't thing it was a wheel bearing. After some research found out how weak and often our front differentials tend to chew up bearings. My truck has 215k on it so i figured its probably time for a rebuild. With the long weekend coming, ordered a new ring and grear, and master bearing kit. Last night i pulled the diff, and tonight i took it apart. With the sound of the clunking i expected some carnage, but nothing!! Fluid was dark but fairly smooth with no real visible metal. Very little on the drain magnet as well.

The gears are showing some age, but nothing that would cause the noises i've been hearing. The only thing i did find, was that the carrier bearing races slid right out!!! There are some markings that indicate they have spun in the case, as well as some wear in the surface that meets the bearing. My only thought is those started spinning causing the clicking.

Someone chime in if they have experienced something similar. Should i go ahead and just rebuild everything? This is the first differential i have attempted to rebuild. I have rebuilt multiple Volkswagen trans-axles, but never "properly" with a proper machinist gauge or anything. BUT the last one i built has not had any issues over the past year.
Attached Thumbnails AWD IFS Rebuild, irregular clicking and clunking, Pics within-imag2973.jpg   AWD IFS Rebuild, irregular clicking and clunking, Pics within-imag2968.jpg   AWD IFS Rebuild, irregular clicking and clunking, Pics within-imag2972.jpg   AWD IFS Rebuild, irregular clicking and clunking, Pics within-imag2970.jpg   AWD IFS Rebuild, irregular clicking and clunking, Pics within-imag2969.jpg  

Old 02-13-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sure others will chime in, but I think if there was any real race movement, the races would be scored or at least something visible other than a normal wear pattern, which the races and all the gears are showing...
Old 02-13-2015, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I forgot to take a picture of the outside of the race. I'll take some when i get home. Definitely signs of it spinning to me.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
I forgot to take a picture of the outside of the race. I'll take some when i get home. Definitely signs of it spinning to me.
Are you planning on using GM gears or aftermarket? You'll need to check pinion depth with aftermarket, but GM gears and stock shims should give you a good pattern right off the bat. I would for sure put new bearings in, since you're in there. If there's no howl or whine from the diff there's no good reason to replace the gears, unless the teeth are chipped.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im going with Motive gears. there was always a slight noise up front, but my exhaust was too loud to really tell. i would check pinion depth regardless of what gears i was going to use. I read on ls1tech that the motive gears are very quite and have good reviews.

I received my bearing kit today. Didn't realize it didn't have additional shims when i ordered it. Hopefully i can find some locally tomorrow. Haven't checked to see if any of the chain autparts stores carry them yet.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my new bearings in, and the carrier races slide right in and out, does not need to be pressed in. They have been outside in the freezing cold all day, but i've never had something slide in that easy. I've read of people using some green locktite and hammering in a little tick in order to keep them in place.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 790 Likes on 655 Posts

The Transfer case on the AWD SS could have a bad Viscous coupler in it.

It could be "humping" causing the front to clunk as goes in and out of locking up or transferring the Power byias from front to rear. See a description of how the Transfer case works here.... Questions About The Awd System On Our Trucks - AWD, Differential, & Transmission Tech - SilveradoSS.com