Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

AWD vs. 2WD road handling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD vs. 2WD road handling?

I am looking at buying a trunk and slamming it to make a fast sporting truck. I know the front suspension is different from a awd/4x4 vs a rear wheel drive. Specifically the torsion bars as opposed to coils springs and also the steering gear box opposed to a steering rack.

I don't know where I heard this or why I think this but I have always thought of a vehicle with torsion bars as not handling as well as a vehicle with coils springs.

-Is this all BS and I am wrong or does a 2wd truck have an advantage with coils springs and steering rack.
-Or does the traction of the awd make up for any compromises in the front susupension that had to be made to accomodate the front drive train.

I am interested in a regular cap short bed. Either 2wd or a 4x4 with AWD transfer case like others have done. Basicly a wannbe Siverado SS minus the back seat.

Do you think the 2wd is a sportier way to go even though you will have a traction disadvantage. Please note I am looking at older high mile trucks so I have left over money for mods like big hp strokers and beefed transmissions so traction would be an issue.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think that the NBS used Torsion bars on the 2WD too and the NNBS has coils.
so unless you are cutting weight the AWD will help in the 60'
Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 AM
TOTM: November '07

I like AWD simply for the wet acceleration ability. I have to ease onto the pedal of my F150 in the rain because it will blow up the tires, but I can drive the Explorer like normal.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWD is superior to 2wd in pretty everyway BUT AWD is only great when its a great AWD system in the vehicle. Drive an AWD Mitsu Lancer EVO or Subaru WRX and then drive an AWD Audi and you'll feel what I mean... The Audi is far superior... If I was building a sport street truck I would want AWD if I had the option. Out of the corner accelration of an AWD is just awesome!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:57 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I'd go AWD. my lowered 4x4 handles pretty damn good to though with the torsion bars in 2wd. Im stll debating to go with an AWD transfercase though.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

i was looking to do the same thing about a month ago.

i was set to buy a Colorado Xtreme. I wanted a 4WD colorado short bed, that i could drop, and build the motor. (basically a new rendition of my Syclone).

but my Syclone has AWD & torsion bars. its a 4WD S-10 platform. Dont know whether you can drop a full size that far down.

the 4WD will have some kinda body lift, which you can remove to lower it, and you can crank the torsion bars down, and get a ground effects kit to get it even lower.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 2wd 4.8 5-spd that is a hoot to drive. Granted it doesn't have much oomph at the moment to really kick out the rear on corner exit, but it has its fun moments. It'll get even better once the 6.0/6-spd goes in.

Personally, I'm used to how a 2wd vehicle feels and operates, so, naturally, thats what I went looking for when I was truck shopping. Its just what feels comfy to me. I've never driven hard an awd vehicle, though, so I can't say I've much experience feeling that kind of a chassis.

I guess I'd recommend the 2wd for the conventional front suspension, lower weight, and less parasitic loss in the drivetrain.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just Convert to Coil overs on the front end... its not much difirent then doing Airbags on the 4x4's and AWD's as far as the mounts and such...