Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

B&M 28K GVW Cooler Ques.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B&M 28K GVW Cooler Ques.

I just bought a B&M Supercooler, the 28,000 GVW model. Only thing is that this is one of their "race" coolers that didn't come with any of the hardware to hook it up. It has 1/2" NPT fittings on it, so what do I use to connect it to the tranny? My truck didn't come with the aux. cooler that I could see but I'm assuming it doesn't since I don't have the towing package. It does have the lines that run from the trans to the radiator though so I was gonna run the cooler inline with the return line off the radiator back to the trans. Any ideas on what hardware and where to get it, or of any better ways to hook it up? I don't really want to shell out the coin for stainless braided lines and AN fittings.

TIA
Old 02-18-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should just need some brass barbed fittings from any hardware store and some rubber hose rated to handle atf. I don't belive there is all that much pressure on the lines. I just got a Long Tru-cool cooler which is basically the same as what you got only mine is a little smaller and has a couple of barbed fittings instead of threaded fittings. I think it is actually made by the same company that makes them for B&M. Mine came with the barbed fittings and some rubber line. The parts store should be able to tell you what kind of line they have that will work I think mine is 3/8".
Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, thanks man. Yeah I'm pretty sure its 3/8" but I wasn't sure on where to get the fittings. I'll go look and see if I can find some barbed fittings then.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Default B&M Supercooler

Ordered the 24000 GVW SuperCooler last week. Received it today. Came with hose, brass fittings, brackets, looks to be a thorough install kit. Going to install it this pm. I'll post back this evening and let you know how it goes. Did yours come with the kit?

Last edited by shupe; 02-19-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

i got to get a cooler also, before i put my 3200 vig.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Default Install

Installed after work today. Friend took grill out for me. Used brackets supplied with the install kit, cut down with bandsaw to length. Installed directly below the latch assembly with hose fitting facing down. Installed in about an hour with a trip to parts store. Picked up an addition 3' of hose. Easy stuff.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

If you do a search for "rotten luck road damage" you can see pictures of my cooler installed, and damaged.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shupe
Installed after work today. Friend took grill out for me. Used brackets supplied with the install kit, cut down with bandsaw to length. Installed directly below the latch assembly with hose fitting facing down. Installed in about an hour with a trip to parts store. Picked up an addition 3' of hose. Easy stuff.
Awesome. Did you install it inline with the coolant line off the radiator or do how have a stock cooler?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03
Awesome. Did you install it inline with the coolant line off the radiator or do how have a stock cooler?
I didn't have a factory cooler. Line runs from tranny to bottom of radiator out the top of the radiator to the cooler then back using the provided hardware. The trany cooler looks to be the same width as the one in truckmann's pictures but about half the size.
Couldn't be easier. Really. Wish I would have done this 50k ago.