Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

B&M Hi-Tek SuperCooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B&M Hi-Tek SuperCooler

Wondering if anyone has researched and/or tried the B&M SuperCooler with the built-in thermostat and fan???

Now that I am considering an aftermarket torque converter, I will want to ensure that my transmission stays as cool as possible, and a heat exchanger with a fan seems the natural route. I was going to assemble my own when I stumbled upon this one from B&M, which has the added advantage of a built-in thermostat:

Here is B&M's page on it, followed by the descriptions at Jegs and Summit (I'm looking at the larger one, the 70297):

B&M
Jegs
Summit

Anyone have input? I think $200 is a little steep for the parts involved, but I've learned to appreciate the value of a company assembling something that works as a system, so in light of that, $200 doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

I just wonder how effective it is. Seems like it would work...I mean, why wouldn't it? What's interesting is that the B&M site calls out that the stat is set to 175 degrees, as does Jegs, whereas Summit says it is 160 degrees. Interesting.

Anyway, would like to hear experience or opinions.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had good luck with my 40,000GCVW cooler without a fan but will be adding one once I get my new motor back for around town towing with the 3400 stall. I think that cooler would be a good choice I considered it back when I was in the market for a cooler. It is worth the money if you add up all the components prices you get about the same price and their kit is ready to go just not a big fan of B&M myself but that is personal preference.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I have had good luck with my 40,000GCVW cooler without a fan but will be adding one once I get my new motor back for around town towing with the 3400 stall. I think that cooler would be a good choice I considered it back when I was in the market for a cooler. It is worth the money if you add up all the components prices you get about the same price and their kit is ready to go just not a big fan of B&M myself but that is personal preference.
Is there another manufacturer that offers a kit or package like this one (cooler + fan + thermostat)?
Old 09-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check here there are few fans here
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...ode=derale-fan

This is also where I got my cooler its the hd 40,000GCVW cooler great quality and comes with everything needed to install.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:05 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Wondering if anyone has researched and/or tried the B&M SuperCooler with the built-in thermostat and fan???

Now that I am considering an aftermarket torque converter, I will want to ensure that my transmission stays as cool as possible, and a heat exchanger with a fan seems the natural route. I was going to assemble my own when I stumbled upon this one from B&M, which has the added advantage of a built-in thermostat:

Here is B&M's page on it, followed by the descriptions at Jegs and Summit (I'm looking at the larger one, the 70297):

B&M
Jegs
Summit

Anyone have input? I think $200 is a little steep for the parts involved, but I've learned to appreciate the value of a company assembling something that works as a system, so in light of that, $200 doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

I just wonder how effective it is. Seems like it would work...I mean, why wouldn't it? What's interesting is that the B&M site calls out that the stat is set to 175 degrees, as does Jegs, whereas Summit says it is 160 degrees. Interesting.

Anyway, would like to hear experience or opinions.
I'm sure the B&M will do a good job, FWIW I like it.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Works good for me.I put a variable thermostat in it.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

$200 doesn't seem all that bad at all. a cooler $70 + fan $50 + thermostat $25

plus time to test and make it a package...

Go for it!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 08:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I tryed one and it wasn't large enough, ended up going with a larger cooler in the grill and works very well.

If anyone is interested in just the fan off one of those B&M coolers i've got it laying around.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigPurp
I tryed one and it wasn't large enough, ended up going with a larger cooler in the grill and works very well.

If anyone is interested in just the fan off one of those B&M coolers i've got it laying around.
Wasn't large enough....what does that mean? Did you have an aftermarket TC and this cooler didn't keep it cool?

Which cooler are you using now? Does it have a fan, or is it passively cooled?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:42 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Had a 2800 stall in it and no it caused the trans to overheat. My radiator doesn't have the trans lines going through it so the sole duty was on that little guy.

I forget the brand I have now, it's a 28k gvw stacked plate style mounted in front of the radiator. I've never had a problem since then, seems anytime the trans starts to get even a little warm the electric fans come on and cool everything down to a safe level.

That b&m cooler is neat but nothing great, the center hub section of the fan covers a lot of the available area so your really not using all of the cooler. It would make an adequate fuel or diff cooler but I wasn't happy with it on my trans.

Stick a big cooler up in the grill and it will work great, the closer you can get it to the radiator the better. I have a ton of room between my a/c heat exchanger and radiator so mine sits in that space.

Quick Reply: B&M Hi-Tek SuperCooler