Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Bad Truetrac or bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Truetrac or bearing?

I've had my 4.30's and truetrac in my truck for several years now and probably 50-60k miles. Been driving on a very slightly bent axle for a 4 months or so. by slightly i mean sometimes you can't even feel it and had to take the wheel off and watch the center of the axle to see it wobble.
Recently the rear-end has started howling under part throttle and making a slight clanking on decel which you can hear if you kill the truck and let it coast.
Changed the axle out today and looked inside and there's no play in the ring/pinion and when I rolled the axle across the floor you really couldn't even tell it was bent so I doubt it caused any issues.

When I found out the axle was bent I lifted the truck off the ground and put it in gear and because of the truetrac both wheels would spin evenly. Today after doing the axle swap I did the same thing and only the passenger side would spin unless you gave it a little throttle and then it would get noisy.
That factor tells me it's probably the truetrac but wanting to check around as well. It has gotten progressively worse over the past 2 weeks and I need to do something SOON.
Yes I only ran Conventional (NON Synthetic) oil with the truetrac as recommended.

Here is a pic of what debris was in the pan. Not really much just extremely fine shavings. Thinking that maybe the gears within the truetrac have enough wear on them to no longer have proper lash. everything looked okay within the casing. I suppose it COULD be a bearing going out but that won't cause the left side to not stay locked when off the ground.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it could be a locked up bearing on the other side giving it just enough resistance to not spin. Hard to tell without looking at it with the cover off.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Where's the Beef?

Yea have been reading and that was something I was thinking as well. May be worth changing the bearings soon and seeing what happens. I don't see why they would have gone out so quickly since I changed them all when I got the gears and locker.
Didn't take a pic of the inside but looked same as it did when installed.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bent axel youre probably looking at a bad bearing, but id tear the tru trac down and give it a going over also..
Old 02-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Where's the Beef?

Bent the Passenger side axle and it's the driver side that isn't spinning as easily. Eaton's site says not to take the truetrac apart because once it's together they do something to ensure clearances or something so Kind of skeptical. Did see a thread where a guy tore his apart and put it back together for a different vehicle but no update on if it stayed together.
Wish I could just order a rebuild kit for it but there isn't one offered.

I'll try to get it tore back down and rotate everything and look more precisely for play in each specific area. Bearings included. Just didn't have time today.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Where's the Beef?

Its the locker.

http://static.photobucket.com/player...-09-24_736.mp4

Last edited by viciousknid; 02-11-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not the first Trutrac failure I've heard of...