Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

bad vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well took tires off ran it on stands. Noticed a lot of play in my rear end. Takes two hands to spin it and can move a lot before it catches. I did the gear and true trac install myself. Noticed pinion nut moving in and out while running it up to forty mph which is probly where vibration is coming from. What could be the cause?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what was your backlash and preload set at?diff sounds like your problem
Old 02-02-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

I done the swap before I realized the info that was floating around on here. Gonna look it over Friday. Need a inch pound torque wrench.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i need my locker put in lol
Old 02-02-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Lol if I get this stuff figured out might help ya out. Still learning lol. Comes down to having the right tools.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

heres an update guiys. I went ahead and tore the diff apart. I found alot of metal on the cover magnet. But the gears seem to look great. I dont think the true trac has gone bad. But before i did the swap i broke my stock diff and ring gear. Maybe there was some left over metal in there i dont know. I hope so lol. But i did notice that the passenger side carrier bearing had a nick in it from somethin. Im thinking this could have caused the bad vibration. I also had the shims in backwards. Had the thicker one in the passenger side which moved the ring gear away from the pinion. Friday i Ordered new install kit from rons ring and pinion. Gonna do it right this time around. Will update with installation.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

ok finally took everything apart. I had a broke passenger side ear on the trans bell housing. Converter looked good (which it is brand new). Flexplate looked good. Everything was still tight and looked good.

I just installed all new bearings and shims in rear end. Gears are still roaring bc i didnt set them up correctly the first time around.

Here are the Questions:

-Could my vibration be the motor mounts? Wouldnt it vibrate in park also?

-What about the pinion being worn down causing vibration? Maybe very possible i would think.

-Tires? No way bc i ran it on jack stands and vib is still at 50mph.

-Driveshaft? Well i checked pinion angle and it was at 1*+ WITHOUT shims. I just installed 6* shims which i would think should work. Correct?

-What if the trans being cracked from the get go? could have been the whole problem?

Vibration starts at 50mph and gets to the extreme up to 70mph which is alomost unberable. I havnt tried going any faster bc of how bad it is.

Almost out of ideas! Please HELP!

Last edited by brandon6.0; 02-28-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

i just came inside from messin with it this afternoon. I noticed without the trans installed i was able to pick up on the engine really easy and shake it. I think this could have been my issue. I also, was running a poly trans mount which i think i have realized was a bad idea.

Are the stock mounts supposed to be pretty stiff like? Gonna swap to poly mounts on the engine and stock mount on trans. What yall think?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think its better to run all stock, or all poly. and where you moving the engine by hand or with a prybar? the mounts should have some small give but not shake around.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

literally i could get under it since its jacked up and move it up or down like it was nothing. I think this was my problem all along.

Took Welding up the trans, fixing the rear end correctly, changing pinion angle and swapping drive shafts to figure this out.

Could of had my setup finished by now, if it wasnt for this mess.

Quick Reply: bad vibration!