Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Baggin' the front of a 4wd....and keepin' it 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cvs are at a better angle wene it is dropped.the only time that you would have trouble is wene you lift a pickup.my bags are on top of the upper control arm. i dont think that there is any other way to do it.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shawn calvin
the cvs are at a better angle wene it is dropped.the only time that you would have trouble is wene you lift a pickup.my bags are on top of the upper control arm. i dont think that there is any other way to do it.
Read my description.....my idea puts the bag pushing on the lower control arm the same as a 2wd, the only real modified part is the lower bag cup that is c-notched to clear the drive arm....the shock DOES have to be relocated with this method. If the lower bridged mount was strong enough you potentially use the Shockwave setup from RideTech and combine the airspring and shock into one unit to avoid having to relocate the shock

Last edited by Yelo; 06-12-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

ya you could do that but you would be over half way to the top control arm. so it maybe easyier to just put the bag on top of the control arm. either way would work.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shawn calvin
ya you could do that but you would be over half way to the top control arm. so it maybe easyier to just put the bag on top of the control arm. either way would work.
The upper control arm was never designed to be pushed on like that...and to fit a bag there you'll have an upper mount that's WAY into the engine bay requiring removal of the spray skirts....my design should (I think) prevent having to remove the spray skirts and pushes on the component that was designed to be pushed on. with this method you'll never be able to lay out the frame but a 4/6 drop with adjustable suspension travel is entirely within reach (most of us really have no use for a daily driven frame dragger...those of us that DO bought a 2wd to do it with hopefully)
Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are some pics of a bagged 4wd NBS Silverado.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting.....and very cleanly done. With the upper control arm covered with the bracket like that I'd be more comfortable doing it that way but I'm still not sure the upper ball joint was EVER designed to have that much force exerted on it. What's the upper mount actually for, is it a shock hoop that's been modified ??, and why does it still have torsion bars ??
Old 06-12-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

In this picture, it shows that the torsion bars have been removed. In the other pic, maybe they had not taken them off yet.

Here are more pics:
http://www.psicustoms.com/pictures/evan/evan.shtml
http://www.psicustoms.com/pictures/evan/show_evan.shtml

This truck was done by a shop up here in the bay area. I don't know if they are around anymore. Not sure though.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to have the bag on the uca you should run a tubular control arm and uniballs.
Your idea sounds like it would be good Yelo, if you do decide to do it, keep us posted
Old 06-12-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Whippled2dr
In this picture, it shows that the torsion bars have been removed. In the other pic, maybe they had not taken them off yet.

Here are more pics:
http://www.psicustoms.com/pictures/evan/evan.shtml
http://www.psicustoms.com/pictures/evan/show_evan.shtml

This truck was done by a shop up here in the bay area. I don't know if they are around anymore. Not sure though.
Actually...in that pic the torsion bar is still there, it's the black bar running parallel to the frame that you can see in the lower right hand corner to the left of the jackstand

I'll let y'all know what I decide to go with.....it might be awhile though
Old 06-13-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh $hit. Your right. I totally missed it. It looked like part of the ground. Now I'm wondering why they are still on there.

Quick Reply: Baggin' the front of a 4wd....and keepin' it 4wd