Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Belltech Hanger Installation???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Belltech Hanger Installation???

Hey Guys,
I just recently installed a 2 inch belltech coil spring drop in the front, 2 inch shackle drop in the rear and nitro active shocks at all four corners. After reading the installation instructions for the hangers, I felt that it would be way too much work for me to do it myself. Has anyone done this installation before without having too much trouble. I don't want to spend 4+ hours on installation so I was just wondering if you guys can give me some tips or installation instructions of your own to save me some time. The hangers are supposed to drop it another 2 inches in the rear, making it a total of 4 inches dropped in rear. By the way I have a 2002 Reg. Cab, Short Bed silverado. Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

you have to drill out the stock hangers. the best way is to slit a cross in the bolts with a cutoff wheel. use a air hammer and chisel to pop the heads off, then just punch the rivet itself out. takes a little time. if you don't have air tools, it will be much harder.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Air hammer, patience, earmuffs, new bolts, lift, stiff knee.... you will need all of these.... lift truck by frame rails, support rear end with stiff knee. start removing rivets with air hammer. get all them knocked out, unbolt hanger from leaf. install new hanger on leafs(dont tighten bolts, just get it in there), raise rear end back up until you get the holes lined up and install bolts.
PS- pass side is easier. you have to loosent the fuel tank on the drivers side.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grumpy4.8
Air hammer, patience, earmuffs, new bolts, lift, stiff knee.... you will need all of these.... lift truck by frame rails, support rear end with stiff knee. start removing rivets with air hammer. get all them knocked out, unbolt hanger from leaf. install new hanger on leafs(dont tighten bolts, just get it in there), raise rear end back up until you get the holes lined up and install bolts.
PS- pass side is easier. you have to loosent the fuel tank on the drivers side.
That's sounds about right! That's similair to what I did, I didnt use earmuffs cuase I used a torch to get the rivets off.

Grumpy nice Avatar, I made that one myself, hope you like!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:04 AM
Teching In

pull the bed off.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive put on several shackles that take less than an hour not sure which ones you got but drop shackles are normally plug and play deals.

Put a jack under the rear diff and jack all the way up. Then use two jack stands to support the frame and slowly lower the rear untill the wheels are off the ground but there isnt alot of positive or negative pressure on the springs. Take out the old shackles pop in the new. This way you can raise and lower the rear without having a lift just use the jack and the frame is on the jackstands. Its fairly easy.

If you can do coil springs you can do shackles.

Edit: I just re-read are you talking about the leaf spring purches, if so they are easy but a serious pain in the *** to take off, the factory uses big rivets. You can still use the above method though.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Digging up a very old thread.....

On average, how long should it take to install the leaf hangers? Assuming I have a lift and all the needed air tools?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

It took me about 15 minutes for both sides.

I even did it in sandals!

Die grinder, air chisel, and BAM. I did the "x" in the rivet, chiseled them off and punched them out. Was a piece of cake to be honest. I had a harder time getting my shackles on than my hangers.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by texasglock23
It took me about 15 minutes for both sides.

I even did it in sandals!

Die grinder, air chisel, and BAM. I did the "x" in the rivet, chiseled them off and punched them out. Was a piece of cake to be honest. I had a harder time getting my shackles on than my hangers.
WTF? Seriously? AND in sandals? That's hardcore!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always wear sandals, quite foolish...but hey, what can I say? I like to live life on the edge!

Yeah, it only took me 15 minutes to get both sides off, and part of that was drinking that beer you see in the pic. Tools and their uses...just like we were taught in the NAVY.

Quick Reply: Belltech Hanger Installation???