Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Belltech spindles + Bear EradiSpeed Plus 2 = problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Belltech spindles + Bear EradiSpeed Plus 2 = problem

This is an FIY/heads up to anyone who some day wants to do Belltech spindles AND the Bear EradiSpeed Plus 1 setup on a NBS Silverado.

About two months ago I installed the Belltech spindles (part number 2508BLT). They went on without any problems (that is once you get the OLD spindles off....the lower ball joint is a total PITA but that is another subject). All the stock stuff mounts up to them without any issue, they work/drive fine, and I have no complaints with them in any way.

Today I went to install my Bear EradiSpeed Plus 2 (the 2 piece 14" rotor setup) and hit a snag. The caliper mounting bracket did not want to mount to the spindle flush as it hit in two places.

The issue is two problems, one from each company (Belltech AND Bear). The problems are this.

1) The "ears" where the caliper mounting bracket mounts are machined to be flat and to produce the desired dimensions. The problem is Belltech did not leave much extra clearance between the "machined surface" and the raised edge of the un-machined area. If you look at the picture I attached, you will notice the red “areas” I colored in. My spindles had this “red area” still as rough casting. Then look at the “un-colored” picture and you will see that it is machined out. I don’t know why Belltech does one part number of spindles one way and another part number the other but they do. It is something to be aware of. This is not a problem with the stock caliper bracket as they are quiet small in the mounting tab area and clear without issue.

2) Bear's caliper mounting brackets are MUCH larger than the stock units. They left LOTSSSSSSSS of extra material in the design that could/should have been removed.

So the combination of Belltech only machining the absolute minimum clearance AND Bear making their caliper brackets far too big, is that something has to be ground.

In this case I personally chose to whip out my trusty air grinder and clearance on the spindle. My feeling is that I would rather make the spindle fit the larger caliper brackets that way if in the future I want to go with something else (say the Bear Alumasport Calipers), I won't have to mod those brackets as well.

All and all it isn't a major issue in the least (provided you have a good air grinder). I think it probably took me about 30mins to do both and in all truth I'm probably better off as a result. By grinding what I did, I removed a hard machine line which is always a good thing since sharp edges tend to be the place cracks start.

I'm a little disappointed in both companies (more than anything I'm shocked Bear didn't take the time to make their brackets what was NEEDED vs. just designing them so overkill and leaving it....) but such is life. I have big brakes and a 2" drop. I also installed a set of Hawk HPS pads and some stainless brake lines on the front (will do the rear lines tomorrow...not doing pads on the rear at this time). My impression thus far is the brakes come on much smoother and I require less pressure to slow (exactly what I expected the results to be). I need to let the pads and rotors set in before I can find out what they can really do, but I'm excited none the less.

Marry Christmas everyone...
Attached Thumbnails Belltech spindles + Bear EradiSpeed Plus 2 = problem-spindle.jpg   Belltech spindles + Bear EradiSpeed Plus 2 = problem-spindle2.jpg  

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 12-23-2007 at 07:26 PM.