Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Best 4l80e? Mad Dog, RPM, Jakes performance, Performabuilt etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 4l80e? Mad Dog, RPM, Jakes performance, Performabuilt etc

My transmission gave out at the drag strip. It has a lot of miles plus 4 yrs on the build so it`s time to have it completely rebuilt, or just exchange it as a core (prob cost the same).

My current engine setup on max boost is 926rwhp, so I need a trans thats good for at least 1,100hp.

Based on your experiences who would be the best shop to deal with?
quality/service/price

I don`t care if it`s a shop I mentioned in the title or not

I`m in Atlanta.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RPM has took really good care of me. Just picked my truck up from them today actually. Broke a output shaft (was factory output shaft). They pulled my transmission, and practically rebuilt my transmission for free. I just had to buy parts. Also have had this transmission for over a year and a half. can't speak for anyone else tho as I have never delt with them.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rockin a Jakes and would do it again... Call them up and tell them what you need and good to go bud.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Ive never owned one but based on reviews of mad dog, i'd cross them off the list.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned a Mad Dog and they are permanently off my list.
I have awesome transmissions from Finishline and have always heard good things about Performabuilt. I think those are the only two I'd go with.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jake's Transmissions are top-notch. They know their stuff and that's all they do.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I have seen a lot of good reviews on Jakes, so I planned to use them, and I've talked to them a couple times in the past week, but and it's, "we`ll call you tommorrow", which is fine, but they don`t. I always end up calling them after a few days go by. So as of right now I have the trans pulled and I`m ready to have it shipped to them. I last talked to them Thursday and she said she would find out when her courier could pick it and she'd call me in the morning. It's now Saturday and I still haven`t heard back from them.
I'm sure they are just busy or something, but poor customer service is giving me a negative opinion real quick, and I may go with one of these other shops that you guys are suggesting.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an argument that could go on forever, but I knows jakes has a certain reputation for a reason. Personally I will likely have a member build mine, but I'm no where near 1000hp. I think it may be time to consider a different route entirely. Maybe a TH400 and GV. A th400 can be built for much less money so if it does blow you can get another cheap. The GV will keep it daily drive able. This is the route several high powered members are taking now with great success. (turbomic, chevrolade, 02camaross, etc)
Old 05-18-2013, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Communication with Jakes does blow I will say... but the reason for that is because this is the start of the race season and they are swamped.

Jake helped me quite a bit with my 80e build... I bought all the parts from them and he walked me through some issues I was having...

I would go with Jakes hands down from what I've seen and heard... just have patience with communication... lol

-Chris
Old 05-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Well thanks to you guys continuing to recommend Jakes, I decided to call them again and they said they'll set up the courier for Monday.

By the way I'll be putting the truck back up for sale once the tranny is squared away $19,900

Quick Reply: Best 4l80e? Mad Dog, RPM, Jakes performance, Performabuilt etc