Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Best handling truck in all of PT.Net lets. Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:38 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about a Watts link? Would that work without a 4 link? I would think a good 4 link w/ a Watts link and some coilovers would be about the best setup for the rear. That way you could adjust the spring rates to maximize your setup. Bags are of course infinitely adjustable, but are more expensive.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:05 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think all that would help but IMO when it comes to pulling a G a lot of the weight is in the front so it seems more important to beef up the front suspension because when im in my truck and pull hard my front tires squeel before my back tires break.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:08 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Default 4 link and bags?

ive been reading up about different suspension options due to the thread about pulling a G and i was reading baout 4-link and it seems everytime 4-link was mentioned so were air bags. do you have to have bags with a 4 link? i dont reall know what a 4 link is i kinda think it replaces leaf springs would make sense that you needed bags. just wondering.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Scream
What about a Watts link? Would that work without a 4 link? I would think a good 4 link w/ a Watts link and some coilovers would be about the best setup for the rear. That way you could adjust the spring rates to maximize your setup. Bags are of course infinitely adjustable, but are more expensive.

Ive really thought about that watts link. It would eliminate the need for a rear sway bar and a panhard bar. But the draw back is its not as tunable as a sway bar and its a lot of unsprung weight.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
ive been reading up about different suspension options due to the thread about pulling a G and i was reading baout 4-link and it seems everytime 4-link was mentioned so were air bags. do you have to have bags with a 4 link? i dont reall know what a 4 link is i kinda think it replaces leaf springs would make sense that you needed bags. just wondering.
Air bags just replace the shocks and or springs. They are just another progression of the suspension. 4-links don't need bags but bags need a 4-link to get much travel out of them, that's why bags are often discussed when discussing 4-links.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

speaking of 4-links, sportside!! where are you? maybe he will chime in and give us a little feedback on how his truck corners with the 4-link......
Old 05-01-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weight distribution might help as well, such as putting in a fuel cell between the framerails where the spare tire is now. Not sure if it'll work well but with trucks being as light as they are in the rear, playing around with where the weight is might do some good.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by StrokerAce03
Weight distribution might help as well, such as putting in a fuel cell between the framerails where the spare tire is now. Not sure if it'll work well but with trucks being as light as they are in the rear, playing around with where the weight is might do some good.
Weight distribution plays a huge roll. Out tucks have a horrible weight bias which makes it hard to get a neutral handling. Pulling weight off the front or moving it back will definitely help.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Battery relocation would help quite a bit IMO as would the fuel cell and going to a lighter hood. I would think a set of QA1s setup correctly with rebound and compression dialed in perfect would make your truck handle much better.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Are you guys talking about running panhard bars with leaf springs?

Porque?

Quick Reply: Best handling truck in all of PT.Net lets. Discuss