Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Best handling truck in all of PT.Net lets. Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a parallel 4 link with a pan hard bar with over the axle bags and it is a good set up although i think that the the double shear watts link is a better setup. also yes if you are going to try to make your truck stick a G' you need to get better weight distribution, stick the battery in the back passenger side corner (custom) and if you got the money you should stick a fuel cell between the frame rails like mentioned above. here is a link to my suspension build....http://www.crazytalkcustoms.com/projects-blake.htm
Old 05-01-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive seen a few of those older Dakota RT's out on bigger autocrosses, haven't seen a truck on the track yet...

You'll want stickies, but finding them in an appropriate size would be difficult, but some 305 minimum width, on 18x10's could work wonders.
You'll need that front end in check way before you even touch the rear.
Progressive rate coilover springs in the front, along with some tuned shocks, fiberglass front quarter panels and hood, battery relocation would bring significant changes. You might even play around with ADDING weight to the rear to achieve a better balance.

An ideal setup would be placing your truck in a zone of neutrality. On the 200 ft, you attain ~1.0g while having the exact same throttle. You invoke oversteer only by touching the gas, and you bring understeer just by lifting a tad. Then you'd have a ridiculously good corner carver.

Last edited by OKcruising; 05-01-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Teching In

I have front and rear sway's they help a little, but its a truck man.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Are you guys talking about running panhard bars with leaf springs?

Porque?
Porque a panhard bar helps keep the rear end centered under hard turning. Leaf springs do a reasonable job of keeping the rear end centered but tossing a 4000lbs truck into a hard turn a panhard bar is needed. The only rear end suspension type that wont benifit from a panhard bar is a triangulated 4-link.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cttayse
.... but its a truck man.....
Thats the whole point of this and every other thread on this forum.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:00 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

the reason we are having this discussion is because its a truck and doesnt already do it, because we're at performancetrucks.net not slugtruckbodyroll.com (sarcasm noted not to be inconsiderate) i always find it difficult to find a panhard bar for our stock suspension but i dont know much about suspension so i guess thats my problem. i find all this discussion interesting and will definitly mark the thread for when i get to modding the handling!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Something that is good to study and understand is the Toyota X-runner. From the factory it pulls .90g's with leaf springs and no panhard bar.
Link.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:40 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

a buddy has one of those, its fun to drive, but IMO i would rather have one of our V8's even though it runs high 14's low 15's stock.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
a buddy has one of those, its fun to drive, but IMO i would rather have one of our V8's even though it runs high 14's low 15's stock.
I would love to spend an hour under one of those looking at the frame. Toyota added two braces to stiffen up the chassis. There is no way the common man could duplicated them.

Edit: Apparently the Taco has sub frames. The braces simply connect then together a little more ridged. Our frames wouldn't take advantage of them anyways.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

I wonder howmuch that taco weighs. I bet a little vehicle on big tires could take advantage of those tires.

There is also something to be said for matching swaybars that are engineered together.
I thought that a stiffer rear swaybar would allow the rearend to come around easier, negating other handling mods.

Quick Reply: Best handling truck in all of PT.Net lets. Discuss