Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Best place for Posi/Gear swap in Houston Area???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best place for Posi/Gear swap in Houston Area???

Like the title says trying to find the best place in the Houston area for my Posi/Gear swap. I wish I had the ***** to do the swap myself but just don't think I could swing it without F'in somethin up.
Pyle Bro's is really the only place I knew of, but they want $325 just for the install. I have all parts needed just need to find a good reputable installer.

Any help is much appreciated

Last edited by SlvrSierra4.8; 04-11-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give Exner Transmission A Call. They Are In South Houston. 713-473-0199. It Is A Good Buddie Of Mine. They Do Very Good Transmission Work As Well. Tell Them Jeremy Sent You.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
Give Exner Transmission A Call. They Are In South Houston. 713-473-0199. It Is A Good Buddie Of Mine. They Do Very Good Transmission Work As Well. Tell Them Jeremy Sent You.
Thanks man, I'll do that. Anybody in particular I should ask for?
Old 04-11-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I've heard of Exner before, never used them personally but I have heard very good things, mainly in the transmission business, didn't know they did rear ends too.

Also might want to try Pyle Bros in Baytown, again, have not used them personally but a ton of the houston area guys have. I know for a fact they are a top notch rear end shop.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by L33Z71
I've heard of Exner before, never used them personally but I have heard very good things, mainly in the transmission business, didn't know they did rear ends too.

Also might want to try Pyle Bros in Baytown, again, have not used them personally but a ton of the houston area guys have. I know for a fact they are a top notch rear end shop.
Thanks for the info but as I said in my orginal post Pyle Bro's wants $325 just for the install. Which I think is freakin rediculous. They told me they normally would charge me $275, but since they could'nt make any money off of parts since I had everything it was gonna run me $325...
Old 04-11-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SlvrSierra4.8
Thanks for the info but as I said in my orginal post Pyle Bro's wants $325 just for the install. Which I think is freakin rediculous. They told me they normally would charge me $275, but since they could'nt make any money off of parts since I had everything it was gonna run me $325...
That is true. If you didn't buy their gears they will charge you more. It's only fair. You have to also look at it in a business point of view.
4-Wheel-Parts will not even install anything that they do not sell. The reasons for this is insurance purposes and them being able to send failed parts back to the manufacturer for credit back. It also insures that if they installed a gear set that fails due to an incorrect installation, that they could rule out it being the parts that someone else brought in to them.
There is a place in Sweetwater area that does specialize in only transfer case rebuilds and rear end gear rebuilds. I forget their name, but my brother did have his transfer case rebuilt their for his 01' GMC Z71. They offer a better warranty than you can get if he would have bought a completely remanufactured unit from GM.
I'll try and get their name for you.

Jim
Old 04-11-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SlvrSierra4.8
Oh yeah, $325 is not too high either. If you ever try to rebuild one, then you will know why. It is not just a bolt out and in application. There are a lot of things that have to be shimmed, gauged, and adjusted just right or you will ruin a gear set in less than 5 miles.

Jim
Old 04-11-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Oh yeah, $325 is not too high either. If you ever try to rebuild one, then you will know why. It is not just a bolt out and in application. There are a lot of things that have to be shimmed, gauged, and adjusted just right or you will ruin a gear set in less than 5 miles.

Jim
Yea I have done the swap in my Nova, but I just want to make sure everything is dead on by a professional shop being that the truck is my DD and still so new. If I was buying an install kit with labor and just had my posi and gears I could understand the $325 price, but it just sounds a bit high IMO. I do agree w/ you regarding the business side of things tho, they do have to make their money somehow I'm just freakin broke after buying the parts side of things, and would like to find a more reasonable install price w/out sacrificing a quality install.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I only had to pay 325 for my gear and posi install. They wanted like 425 here for both....300 for gear only and IF i do it at the same time they were ONLY gonna charge 125 more for the posi.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Any other suggestions fellas ?

Quick Reply: Best place for Posi/Gear swap in Houston Area???