Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

best "street" shocks....

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lo&sloSierra
im runnin the street performances in the rear on a hanger and shackle drop, im really happy with them, i still havent had luck with a good stiff front shock yet though, i have a spindle drop in the front and i dont need a drop shock but the stiffest shock in the world? any ideas i thought about like some ranchos but for a 2wd but i dunno?
Have you tried the Street Performance shocks in the front? I have a spindle drop too and they made for a hell of a better ride up front.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea ive tried them in the front too, they still dont feel as stiff as factory, i need something like ultra stiff, cause i take my truck to barber motorsports park on track days and i need a really freakin stiff front shock
Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Klive
... I will be going to a 3/4 drop soon using springs in the front... is there any specific shock you guys are using right now with good results? not really wanting to get into a "drop" shock if I don't have to. What do you guys think? upgrade to something now that will work with stock and 3" springs or wait till the drop and do something specific for that...
If u drop 4" in the rear, u'll run outta travel! Unless u think 1/2" is enuff. Ask me how I know. That lil bit of travel, will beat the **** outta ya on nasty bumps. Save up for whatever shocks, just do it together.

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
I'm using the edelbrock IAS shocks. I don't think they make them for a lowered truck though.
Edelbrock IAS specifically for a 2/4 drop. Frt:33023 Rr:34023

yea ive tried them in the front too, they still dont feel as stiff as factory, i need something like ultra stiff, cause i take my truck to barber motorsports park on track days and i need a really freakin stiff front shock
lo& slo, are u dropped or stock htg.?

Last edited by fastnblu; 07-02-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: IAS p/n #'s
Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its 2in. spindle drop on the front, and 2in. drop hangers and 2in shackles but i readjusted for a total of only 3 on the rear, but i cut out my frame a little bit and re supported it so it would keep the strength, so i dont bottom out on nasty bumps, so i really need a set of really stiff shocks for the front, i like the street performances for the rear because they handle excellent when u hit somethin hard in a curve at high speed, they kinda just float over it like its nothing, and whats the best sway bars on the market? i have some off of another truck but i dont know anything about them, i just put them on and went with it
Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

i just bought a set of Doetsch shocks, so far they seem really good. they are a pretty stiff shock. alot better than the belltechs nitro's i had. give them a call they can probaly make you a really stiff shock.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

...so i dont bottom out on nasty bumps, so i really need a set of really stiff shocks for the front, i like the street performances for the rear because they handle excellent when u hit somethin hard in a curve at high speed, they kinda just float over it like its nothing, and whats the best sway bars on the market?
Don't know if this is your DD or not. What works on the track isn't always safe on street, be aware! I've got some QA1's for my rear. I plan on puttin them on in a few wks. They're double adjustable (both rebound & compression). I'll be able to go from Caddy soft to very firm for track. I'll post up when I install em. Single adjustables are cheaper by the way.

So, I'll say go w/ some QA1s. Bilstein makes good stuff. You'll need to find your shock length since Bilstein doesn't make a drop shock for our truck, & order from them that way. Their H.D. line is stiffer than stock.
Other brands I'd consider: Edelbrock, check w/ Koni too or call to have built by somebody that'll tailor to your specs. Afco is used in racing too.

Swaybars: Hotchkis. $$$, but sometimes u catch a break is a GP is going on somewhere. I think Addco & a few others make them too. If puttin on rear of vehicle, swaybars need mounting holes drilled to mount up.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man that helps a lot
Old 07-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Banned

you don't have to drill any holes to mount an ADDCO swaybar to the rear of a truck. Thats your best bet if you are relying on shocks to keep the truck from rolling then you definatly need some sort of rear swaybar.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Klive, how's that possible? For as I know, trucks don't come w/ factory swaybar. Unsure on rear setup on a SS truck tho. I had to drill for my setup. Of course, that may've been for the brkt. on the front of spring, since I did both the drop & sways @ the same time. I forgot since it's been awhile. Perhaps ADDCO uses pre-existing holes that Hotchkis doesn't.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

I just ordered some Beltech Street Perfromance shocks. The ones I have now suck. They came with the drop kit from McGaughy. Hopefully, the ride will be much improved. I have to have something to handle the really crappy roads in RI.

Can a rear sway bar have an ill effect on the ride quality? That is what I have heard.

Quick Reply: best "street" shocks....