Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Best way to get 3" lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
You dont have to crank the stock t-bar bolts very far before it will ride like dog ****.
cranking the T-bars only changes the position of the lower A-arm, it has nothing to do with spring rate. It will ride just as smooth cranked all the way as it does stock.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

NOT TRUE,...it puts your torsion bars at more of a preload, therefore making the ride stiffer, it also maxx's out your factory shocks, i know this cause i have this done to mine and khave installed several new torsion keys as well. a torsion bar is another version of a coil spring to some degree, so messing with it will have its effects, plus when you do this you will need an alignment
Old 03-11-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

twisting the bars DOES NOT put more preload on it. The bar does not get stiffer because it isturned more downward. Thats like saying there is more TQ in a TQ-wrench if you put it at one position over another. The only way the ride stiffness is increased is if you have maxed out how far the front suspention can drop and keep cranking the bar. Changing over to the ford keys is NO different than cranking the stock GM ones. Either way all it changes is the position of the T-bar, not it stiffness or springrate.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Ok now this is my problem. Conflicting info on cranking the front T-bar. I definitely don't whant a harsh ride or to put stress on my stereing or drivetrain parts. Does anyone have clear accurate info on lifting the front a few inches?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by getchusum99
youve seen a 6inch suspension not look as good as a 3inch body lift? wow that must have been one shitty made suspension lift , cause most people agree that a suspension lift looks way better than a body lift with the gaps and all.DRAGONMAN0325
why dont you just get you some ford keys and some 5inch blocks inthe rear? with some longer shocks thatll give almost 3 insches in the front and 3 in the back for cheap.
Just to play Devil's advocate, some people don't like the look of the T-bars and T-bar crossmember hanging 6" from the frame, either. 3" BL and a 2" crank is a cheap way to get 5" and allow 35s on a stock wheel or 33s on some aftermarkets. Sure, a true SL would be ideal, but not everyone can drop the $1600+ and $500+ install cost.

And cranking the bars does add preload to the bars and stiffen the ride...you are physically twisting the bar more than it was stock, making it not capable of moving as much. Cranking up w/ the factory keys is no different than using Ford keys...both will stiffen the ride. Ford keys just allow for more height adjustment than the factory keys. Anything over about 2" +/- will necessitate new shocks, the factory ones don't have enough travel and will overextend and possibly break.

Dragonman, you can crank the bars to get the front level with the rear and be fine, if you run out of threads w/ the stock keys, use the Ford keys and keep the front level w/ the rear. Longer shocks or shock extenders would be a good idea either way, seeing as though the front end on a stock truck is about 2" lower.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

I wish I could draw a picture. Moving the position of the bar does NOT make it stiffer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You CAN crank your stock bars all the way and it WILL ride as smooth as stock.................... If you dont believe me try it, to me its just getting retarded trying to explain this in different ways. How do you figure moving the position of the bar up a little will make the bar harder to twist? Its not. Do you also think if you lower the bars it will ride smoother? If so thats wrong too. The position of the bars relitive to the A-arm has NO effect on there spring rate.................

dragonman0325, all I can tell you is try it for yourself. This fact can be argued all day, but I promise you your ride smoothness will not change. If nothing else its free to do for a day and you can see for yourself. Sorry for all the conflicting info on this.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Launching!

The front torsion bar is a spring to keep the front of the truck in a set position. They act upon the G forces put upon the front of the truck (i.e. left, right and up , down motion). When the truck is at rest the bars maintain a constant height against the forces of gravity. If you turn the bars it only maintains a new height, the weight of the truck has not changed so the constant force of gravity on the t-bars has not changed. The ride stiffness comes from the upper A-Arm suspension bottoming out i.e. the bump stops or the total extension of the shocks. Cranking the t-bar will only change the height of the truck, it will not change the amount of pressure being applied to the bar. If you do decide to crank them up a little, be sure to use a jack to lift the front end first and take the pressure off of the bars.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Scott Mills
The front torsion bar is a spring to keep the front of the truck in a set position. They act upon the G forces put upon the front of the truck (i.e. left, right and up , down motion). When the truck is at rest the bars maintain a constant height against the forces of gravity. If you turn the bars it only maintains a new height, the weight of the truck has not changed so the constant force of gravity on the t-bars has not changed. The ride stiffness comes from the upper A-Arm suspension bottoming out i.e. the bump stops or the total extension of the shocks. Cranking the t-bar will only change the height of the truck, it will not change the amount of pressure being applied to the bar. If you do decide to crank them up a little, be sure to use a jack to lift the front end first and take the pressure off of the bars.
Thanks you! I wish I could have put it that well.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

thats what i way saying all along.. just jokin, sorry for the misadvice, i knew what i was talking about i just didnt go about the best way arguing it or explaing it, either way i messed up. just go ahead and get you a FTS 18inch custom lift and be done with it,
Old 03-13-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like said above, Ford keys are about the easiest and cheapest way. I was thinking the Cognito lift is made for 1500's as well but not sure. If you use Ford keys, get longer shocks as well. It'll make it ride better.