Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Big PITA to get Tranny out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:42 AM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Big PITA to get Tranny out?

I gotta yank the 4l60e outta my 2wd rcsb 5.3 sierra..1999...wondering if there are any difficulties while doing so? Ive dropped trannies and had them back in within 5 hours hours before..wondering if the same goes to these trucks..or are they super ignorant to get out? Any tricks of the trade or pics or anything!??!
thnks guys
Old 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started mine last night. Yeah its a huge PITA!!!!!!!. Try doing a 4wd. Get a buddy to help it goes alot faster. The stuff that took me the longest was probably disconnecting the Plugs from the tranny. They are weather packed and hard to pull out. and borrowing a 2 jaw puller from a friend. I can't wait to see how fun the servos and shift kit are to install. Good luck I feel your pain!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

it's really not that difficult if it's a 2wd. just gotta have the right tools.
it's really not that many bolts: undo the driveshaft, disconnect sensors, disconnect shifter, support tranny and take off tranny x-member, unbolt from the motor. pull the tranny back a little and undo the torque converter from the tranny. woohoo you pulled your tranny now . shouldn't take but a couple hours.

shift kit isn't that hard to install from what I've heard.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

what are you using a 2 jaw puller for??? I've pulled Matt's (white1's) 4wd transmission SEVERAL times and it's not that bad. A tranny jack and extra hand makes a world of difference but isn't absolutely necessary .
Old 01-05-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

the top bolt on the bell housing will need your entire collection of extensions and a universal. we tried for about an hour till we taped the joint so it would not move as much. Flywheel gets unbolted thru the starter hole. Just off the top of my trans drop memories. good luck, it is very doable and easier when the trans is out to swap servos and such.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it only takes me 45min to pull my tranny now...
Sad but true.

after about the 4th time you learn what to do in order..
Old 01-05-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Sad but true.

So true. Its never fun, but after removing and installing about 10 times you can do it blindfolded.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Nick™
what are you using a 2 jaw puller for??? I've pulled Matt's (white1's) 4wd transmission SEVERAL times and it's not that bad. A tranny jack and extra hand makes a world of difference but isn't absolutely necessary .

The 2 jaw puller was used to get lift the torsion bar keys off there stop to remove the stops. The torsion bars still had some tension after pulling the adjusting bolts out. Yeah its not hard to do, just alot of **** to take off. I used to pulling the motor and trans out on my T-Bucket. Its like working on a go kart.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
the top bolt on the bell housing will need your entire collection of extensions and a universal. we tried for about an hour till we taped the joint so it would not move as much. Flywheel gets unbolted thru the starter hole. Just off the top of my trans drop memories. good luck, it is very doable and easier when the trans is out to swap servos and such.
Also Make Sure You Have A New 8MM Allen Wrench!! Dont try to take them out if you think it will strip.. Its not fun.. I use a new 8mm everytime... im paranoid though. Just take your time and have a buddy to help ya.
An ATV jack works wonders if your by yourself.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:39 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Sad but true.

No **** I could give classes on pulling the trans.

Quick Reply: Big PITA to get Tranny out?