Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Bilstein HD shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan1228
so these shocks are for dropped trucks????? i need some badly
no they are for stock. now i have heard on here that the comfort series in this shock can be used on a mild drop. i'm guessing that would fall under a 2/4.

Originally Posted by fastrt
Glad you like yours. It was like driving a waterbed down the road with the stock soft ride blue shocks.
that's exactly how it was riding.

Originally Posted by 262_NBS
guess i'm stuck with my black WT shocks for now; they seem to be good since I haven't noticed any oil leaks although the rough patches of road make me wish I bought a car instead.
the WT shocks are good. over time they don't get all springy and mushy like the ones with the smooth ride suspension.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 PM
makes children cry

Received 405 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
...the WT shocks are good. over time they don't get all springy and mushy like the ones with the smooth ride suspension.
wanna bet? these're the stock WT shocks with literally nothing left in them (when i changed them out, they didn't expand on their own ). watch the launch, 1-2, & 2-3 shifts

Old 01-09-2011, 03:33 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swapped out my red factory Tenneco Z71 shocks for a set of the Bilstein HD's about 6 years ago and it was like I put a whole new suspension on the truck...I only wish that they made them for dropped trucks since I lowered mine. As for dependability, these shocks hold up great...my truck has been lowered for about 4 years now, with the shocks constantly compressed, and they're still holding strong with no leaks. I figured that they'd quickly blow out for sure after I dropped the truck.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM
makes children cry

regular smooth type
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by zebra86
wanna bet? these're the stock WT shocks with literally nothing left in them (when i changed them out, they didn't expand on their own ). watch the launch, 1-2, & 2-3 shifts
dang that thing bounces looks like it's lifted some?
like i said i am speaking from experience. the w/t truck is my friends with 60k miles but he just sold it last week. i'm sure with all the different drops i put on my truck caused the shocks to wear premature.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I swapped out my red factory Tenneco Z71 shocks for a set of the Bilstein HD's about 6 years ago and it was like I put a whole new suspension on the truck...I only wish that they made them for dropped trucks since I lowered mine. As for dependability, these shocks hold up great...my truck has been lowered for about 4 years now, with the shocks constantly compressed, and they're still holding strong with no leaks. I figured that they'd quickly blow out for sure after I dropped the truck.
that's good to hear Billy!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the HD's on my truck, and if some people are reading this thinking they will ride rough, your wrong. dont worry just get them, they do not ride rough at all, if anything bilstein's dont ride as stiff as they used to. i have a 02 silverado 2wd with 285 70 17 bfg all terrains, and they dont handles the tires very well, my tires feather a little bit. have brand new upper control arms and lower ball joints. the tires are not completely chopping out, but i rotate my tires every 5k and swap the fronts every 2500 to keep the feathering as minimal as possible. i work at a tires shop so it's not a pain to do it that often. i wish they were a little stiffer or bilstein offered the 5100 for the 2wd trucks, cause those are what i want. i have about 10-15k on the shocks. if your a stock truck 2wd truck get em, and if your a z71 get them cause the z71's have diff shocks then the 2wd's... they are good shocks just wish they were a bit more stiffer, and they tow good too.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Im in the same boat..... Comfort vs. HD. Does anybdoy have any experience with the Comfort's? Just curious of the feedback on those versus the HD.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also like to know how these are vs. the edelbrock ias shocks....
Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
makes children cry

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
dang that thing bounces looks like it's lifted some?...
no lift that i know of. if it is, it's just a little torsion crank from the previous owner at least 5 yrs ago. i'm fixin to get some 285s, so if it ain't cranked now, it will be
Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm seeing recommendations for Bilsteins too...anybody know which ones the GMT900s use?

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD shocks