Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Bilstien's, Eibach Sway's, and Hotchikis trailing arm in... Almost

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstien's, Eibach Sway's, and Hotchikis trailing arm in... Almost

Well I started at about 5pm, to install some new Bilstien Shocks, Eibach Sway bars, and some Hotchkis trailing arms (Thanks Naked AV!)

Starting with the fronts, the shocks were a breeze! Now moving on to the front sway bar...

I got the frame mounts done first, and started on the endlinks using the supplied hardware from Eibach. The bolt is too short?! I could not compress the urethane bushings to get the nut one for the life of me.

Okay, let's McGuyver it.

I used the factory bolt, factory spacer, half of the urethane bushings on the lower side and rubber bushings on the top half. Perfect, it works. On to the other side..

The same config I did above, doesn't work here!

I used the factory bolt, the eibach supplies spacer, and a mix of the urethane and rubber bushings.

Crap.

Then I couldn't bust the rear lugs loose to do the rear shocks.. My impact gun couldn't get it, I couldn't do it manually, and I tried a mallet on a breaker bar as well.

After a couple of drinks, a sammich, and some rest.. I went ahead and installed the rear bar. That went on like really easy.

So in the end after almost 5 hours, I have the front shocks on, the front sway bar is installed with mis-matching endlinks, and the rear sway bar is on. I gave up on installing the rear shocks until daylight and perhaps I can find a long pipe to use as a breaker. I'll also try to re-do the front bar, and do it correctly.

Damn it was a long evening.

P.S... I used my new Dewalt 18V Cordless impact gun, and it was absolutely flawless. Well it couldn't break the rear lugs, but for everything else, it was awesome.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bilsteins are next on my list. Hope it goes easier than your's.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the faith, brotha'!

How did today go?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

I ended up working today, and installed a redundant UPS system in our server room, a new UPS system for our fax server, switch room, and phone system, and deployed a new storage server. After that our login scripts were having issues (damn AD group policies) And moving over 130GB of files (over 130k files, it took forever!)

I have some thoughts though on the front bar. It should have been installed while on the ground and the truck not jacked up. That should let me use the Eibach supplied hardware and bushings.

As for the rear lugs, I'm going to have the person(s) that did it fix it for me. Poway Chevy. I'll let them change my oil for $19.95 and while they are at it, I'll tell them they put on my wheels too tight, and to torque it to spec, and not use an impact gun on them.

Looking under the truck though, the rear shocks are cake.

I didn't notice too much today a difference though with the front end, the sway bars were slightly noticable though. I just need more seat time with it to get used to the changes.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Veteran

You're going to notice it when changing lanes....the truck will feel more sure, and respond more positively. Plus on-ramps and off-ramps will be nicer. Not WRX/STi nice, but nice nonetheless.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

I've noticed it somewhat already.. But since the sway bar is pre-loaded by having different length end links, I am not seeing the full benefit.

I also seem to think by my highly calibrated eye meter, that one corner of hte car is higher now. Also probably due to th emis-matched end-links.

Since I put in a full 8 hours on Sunday, I may take off of work sometime this week a little early to fix it all. If not, it's going to have to take a back burner to a couple weekends from now. This weekend I have a Drive summit event where I'll be testing all the new Cadillac's, BMW's, and Lexus sport cars.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Well today I got the rear shocks on, after my lugs were introduced to a cheater bar (my floor jack's handle)

I also installed the Hotchkis Trailing arms. Those arms are WAAAY beefier then the stock ones. I'm really impressed with that. Again, thanks Naked A/V

I guess my rear shocks were blown too, because now the ride is so much smoother, it's great. Gone are the bottoming out on speedbumps, gone is the harshness of the rear suspension. But because of the front swaybar being jacked in it's current config, the front still needs some work, and I just wasnt in the mood to fix it the same day.

It's funny that it took some german suspension pieces to make my American SUV handle good...
Old 09-26-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by unredeemed
Well today I got the rear shocks on, after my lugs were introduced to a cheater bar (my floor jack's handle)

I also installed the Hotchkis Trailing arms. Those arms are WAAAY beefier then the stock ones. I'm really impressed with that. Again, thanks Naked A/V

I guess my rear shocks were blown too, because now the ride is so much smoother, it's great. Gone are the bottoming out on speedbumps, gone is the harshness of the rear suspension. But because of the front swaybar being jacked in it's current config, the front still needs some work, and I just wasnt in the mood to fix it the same day.

It's funny that it took some german suspension pieces to make my American SUV handle good...
Way cool dude.