Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Blew the tranny... looking for some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I really like my PB lvl2, it shifts flawlessly under extreme driving, and it's perfect to drive around as a DD, you can tell when it shifts but I can still drive around with my grandma in my truck, she only complains about how loud it is, not about how it shifts in to gear nice and firm.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They both make a good trans but the deciding factor for me was PBs 2 year warranty over FLTs 6 month warranty. PB stands behind their product. Im ordering mine in the next couple weeks (still saving the pennies).
Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

with a 3000 stall i think you will probably want to step up to a little steeper gears in a dd. depends on what u have in there now, but def if you throw a cam in later. i had 3.23
which are a useless gear in a truck imo. thats fbody stuff. what gears do you have now? id reccomend the circle d 278mm with stall speed of your choice. im running the 3200 with no issues at all
Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chambiec1
Sounds good... will I have any computer issues with a stock tune and lets say... 3000 stall? How about drivability?
You're going to want to get the PCM tuned for the converter, or you could get some codes/MIL, and possibly some erratic tcc function. There are other things in the tune that should be adjusted for the shift kit, such as shift speed, and turning off adaptive learning.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by budhayes3
You're going to want to get the PCM tuned for the converter, or you could get some codes/MIL, and possibly some erratic tcc function. There are other things in the tune that should be adjusted for the shift kit, such as shift speed, and turning off adaptive learning.
Would I be able to get away with a small (2800-3000) stall, and stock tune for a few weeks without risk of serious damage? I just came into enough money to get the trans/converter, just wondering if I should add a tune into the price, too...
Old 02-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, anyone have a for sure answer to my above question? Planning on buying the tranny and converter tomorrow..
Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot an email to Justin @ Blackbear, he'll be able to tell you... then you can get your tune though him when you get the spare change.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dmelvin
Shoot an email to Justin @ Blackbear, he'll be able to tell you... then you can get your tune though him when you get the spare change.
I planned on going blackbear... I *should* have the cash to get a mail order tune through him.. we'll see.

I've never modded a truck this much before, I'm hoping the tune/stall/trans along with a cam later on makes me happy for a while. And I pray the rear end holds..
Old 02-20-2011, 10:37 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chambiec1
Would I be able to get away with a small (2800-3000) stall, and stock tune for a few weeks without risk of serious damage? I just came into enough money to get the trans/converter, just wondering if I should add a tune into the price, too...
I'm pretty sure that you'll be fine, you may get a check engine light and the shifts may soften up after you drive it a while and the PCM adapts though. Personally, I like to do all of my stuff like that in one shot though, even if it means waiting a little longer.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Teching In

- Performabuilt LVL2.. ordered and being built.
- Yank TT3000... on it's way to me.

Waiting to hear from Blackbear..

Let's talk trans fluid and break in.. what do you all recommend?

Quick Reply: Blew the tranny... looking for some advice.