Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Blew the trans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew the trans?

tell me i didnt just blow my trans. i was accelerating from a stop about half throttle and all the sudden around 4k rpms there was a HUGE jolt. i slowed down and now it wont shift out of 1st till around 5k rpms. and it will not shift out of second. took it straight to the trans shop and they drove it around with a diagnostic that said it was shifting through all the gears but it obviously isnt. HELP! ive never heard of anything like this. i have reverse, and theres no fluids leaking anywhere.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine jolted pretty hard shifting into second last friday but wouldnt move at all after that, not even in neutral but like yours there was no fluid lost....im going to pick up a new trans in about half an hour.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

man it looks and sounds like these trans blow up quick.. i better be quiet before mine blows on the way home.. i cant wait to upgrade mine.. but the $$$ is gonna hurt a lil..
Old 12-19-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BIRCHZ71
tell me i didnt just blow my trans. i was accelerating from a stop about half throttle and all the sudden around 4k rpms there was a HUGE jolt. i slowed down and now it wont shift out of 1st till around 5k rpms. and it will not shift out of second. took it straight to the trans shop and they drove it around with a diagnostic that said it was shifting through all the gears but it obviously isnt. HELP! ive never heard of anything like this. i have reverse, and theres no fluids leaking anywhere.
thats wierd that it worked for them. just busted the planetaries in mine... good thing i manage a tranny shop

maybe you can just keep drivin if its shiftin now. hows the fluid look?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

let me rephrase this.....the computer diagnostic showed it going through the gears but in reality it wasnt....even the transmission tech said it wasnt for him either.....i know this makes no sense but its happening.....he said in reality its shifting from 1st to 4th but on his diagnostic it actually shows it going through all the gears.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Mine is doing the same. My truck is on stands right now pulling tranny tomorrow to rebuild. It may just be slipping. If it is doing the same as mine it is shifting from 1st to 3rd. The 2-4 band won't apply tight enough so truck won't shift to 2nd or 4th. After I get mine out and tore apart I will let you know what I find. Will take pics as well to post for ya, will be easier to see than me to try and explain.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAVI05
man it looks and sounds like these trans blow up quick.. i better be quiet before mine blows on the way home.. i cant wait to upgrade mine.. but the $$$ is gonna hurt a lil..
mine had 142k on it and i have been saying for about 6 months that it was going to blow sooner or later. the only thing that was weird was it didnt run hot, slip or act differently at all, it just blew apart going into second gear without warning
Old 12-20-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

trans guy called me back today and said they dropped the pan and there was metal shavings all over the magnet. not good considering my trans was flushed out just 3 days ago. i guess the new tranny fluid helped insitigate the big **** my trans took me today. Looks like ill be paying for a rebuild. Any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you broke a forward sprag.....
Old 12-20-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

but if it moves in drive... cant be the forward sprag. probably planets and sun shell. good luck buddy!

also if you get it fushed... better be within 30k or it will be more hermful than good. also dont have adetives put in like most flushes do! just a little friendly advice from seein it so much

Quick Reply: Blew the trans?